Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirrors and Arms

Well seeing that the "west coast" mirrors on an M35 do not tuck for easy off roading and the fact that the M880 had a tri-pod mirror on them which was factory that argument doesn't hold water with me. As for how the military works....I know why the trucks came with the single arm...."because that's the way we've always done it."
    Zone holster maker

Isn't the NAPA mirror a tad larger? Not so one would notice though.

And I've seen very similiar arms at truck stops. Only they're black with a chrome collar and they're longer.

Didn't like my theory, eh, Joe? Oh well. At least I tried!
    -- Tim Taylor

The Napa mirrors are the same size, I found them in black. I have a set of what appears to be NOS mirrors I bought from Bob Cowan, however the NOS arms he said he was sending with them are too long, have chrome caps, are flimsy and appear to be truckstop knock offs. Probably made in china. I did not get what I paid for and what I was told I was getting. I went another route.

Picked up new arms from AB Linn last year. The mounts are different and the arm length requires a little work.

Good luck finding NOS arms/mirrors.

Snuffy

Working for State Government-I still ask why but dont expect any answer I would understand. I sleep better just knowing I asked

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Well seeing that the "west coast" mirrors on an M35 do not tuck for easy off roading and the fact that the M880 had a tri-pod mirror on them which was factory that argument doesn't hold water with me.
    I would suggest that the single arm may be due to the M715 being a different vehicle "classification" (different use) than that of the M35. In regards to the M880, the Jeep has a folding windshield, so the single arm is more accommodating for "breaking down" the vehicle. When I think of this type of vehicle, I think of a combination of a small M Jeep and a large troop carrier, as in it can travel quickly through brush terrain and still haul a sizeable load.

In contrast, the M724, while based on the M715 platform, was designed more specifically to accommodate a different purpose, and was unlikely to require the "break down" that would prove difficult without also removing the utility box. Hence, the "ranch" style mirrors found on the M724.

This is my interpretation of the use of the small vibrating mirrors. It's simply a Jeep thing and all "real" Jeeps have easily collapsible mirrors. The trucks that confuse me are the M725 and M726, as each of these types could easily have received the M724 mirror style in a logical assessment.