Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pto

Default Pto

I THINK I asked this before, just don't remember, is there a difference in pto's for the tranny and t/c?

Yes, but I don't know what the differences would be, other than the gears that would engage the t'case or transmission would have to be different.
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Yeah, I think one has a straight cut gear and the other is helical. Not 100% on that, but seem to recall that difference somewhere along the line.

A pto fot use off of a transmission would be designed to bolt to the side of the transmission case at the access opening. Transfer cases dont utilize this design for access and so transfer case pto's are much different in design, appearance and mounting, and are less common.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Quote Originally Posted by george walker View Post
    A pto fot use off of a transmission would be designed to bolt to the side of the transmission case at the access opening. Transfer cases dont utilize this design for access and so transfer case pto's are much different in design, appearance and mounting, and are less common.
    Do what now? All the PTO's I've seen, either for transmission (both manual and automatic like the Allison) or for transfercase, utilize the standard 6-bolt pattern. Yes, there is a larger size pattern for bigger PTO's, but thats for bigger stuff. I've also heard that the bigger trucks used a toploaded PTO gearbox that bolted to the top of the transmission, thus utilizing more than 1 engagement gear and thus being able to transmit a much higher torque. Is this what you where talking about, toploaded PTO's?

The only difference I've seen between PTO gearboxes is the gear engagement. Whether it be straight cut or helical cut, and then how many teeth on the gears and gear diameter.

I have both a spare T-98, as well as a couple 205's. I installed a PTO gearbox onto the T-98 in my 715, but I can't remember the specifics. I'll see if I can crack them open tomorrow and look at the engagement gear differences. I've been meaning to do it anyways, because I also want to see what the PTO's on both sides of my Brownie look like.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I am aware about the standardazation of trans. mounted pto's, but how many transfer cases have any accomodation for one? Im sure some special medium and heavy duty applications do, but I hadn't ever seen any light duty transfer cases that do. So if a pto was run off such a transfer case it would have to be designed different, such as say early cj's they used a transfer driven pto and its nothing like a standart transmission driven unit.
    Last edited by george walker; November 25th, 2007 at 11:01 AM.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Off the top of my head I know the NP205 (one of the most common x-fer cases to get swapped into the 715) and the NP203 has the standard 6-bolt PTO port.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

yes i was wrong those do have the pto acess
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

There is a 6 bolt pto pattern that will allow many pto's to bolt up to a NP 205. But, the internal gears for the 205 specific pto are different than gears for say a SM420 which are different than the gears in a T-98 or a 465.

Some t-cases take the 10 bolt pattern so look out for them when trying to match parts.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

So is there a place or resource that lists the different type of input gears (straight, helical, toothcount) for the different transmissions and transfercases? I know you can get a whole bunch of different input gears for like the Chelsea 100 series PTO gearbox.

I have a couple different PTO gearboxes, it would be nice to know what they came off of, and what I could get input gears for so they might work with my stuff.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725