Thread: M715 history expert questions...thanks

Default M715 history expert questions...thanks

What was the compartment behind the drivers door on the bottom of the bed used for originally? The compartment goes all the way through from the drivers side to the passenger side. This is the one right in front of the jerry cans and has a hook clasp and cover. Ammo cans? Tools? Thanks in advance again...Chris
    One other question....behind the drivers seat, there is a latch mechanism (similar to the hood latch) about shoulder height and an oval type retainer in line with that latch on the floor board...what went there?

Most will agree that the storage area under the bed is referred to as the "Dog House" and was most likely intended for canvas storage.
    The bracket and base assemblies behind the drivers seat is a rifle mount, and if you decide to pull them out someone on here will want them.

If you read this page:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=10appendix

You will notice several items, like the Jack, listed as:

In tool compt on R.H. or L.H. lower front side of body.

So that is a tool compartment. Remember the book calls the cab "cab" and the bed "body".

The canvas top...or paulin as it is referred to there...is stored behind the seats in the cab.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the compartment was for storing the fording snorkel.....

I am thinking it'd be a great place for my Hi-Lift and other stuff like that, that always is just a bit too bulky/lengthy to fit anywhere else. If I ever do onboard air, I may stash a tank in there too....

Interesting. I always thought/assumed that was to store the bed bows.

Funny what you hear sometimes. The guy I bought my truck from said he heard they stored long rods in that compartment that would go through the lifting brackets bolted to the hubs so the truck would help dig itself out when stuck. Talk about dangerous...

Its just a storage comp an I guess anything that will fit can be kept there. All the cab top bows and paulin store in the cab as illustrated in the -10 tm. The bed top an bows storage isnt specified but presumable just went in the bed. Aside from the items specified in the -10 manual I cant imagine the bed bows or the fording snorkels would fit in there
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Quote Originally Posted by robsgp View Post
    Funny what you hear sometimes. The guy I bought my truck from said he heard they stored long rods in that compartment that would go through the lifting brackets bolted to the hubs so the truck would help dig itself out when stuck. Talk about dangerous...
    Dangerous, maybe, but that is an actual documented use for the hub brackets.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

It was for storing the cargo cover, and bows. Motor pool info!

Just so you know. A small pad lock fits on the locking tab real good to secure the doors. A Hi-Lift fits in there great. But, you need at least 4 feet of side room to pull it out. Which makes parking lots and woods an unfriendly place to have a flat.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    A Hi-Lift fits in there great. But, you need at least 4 feet of side room to pull it out. Which makes parking lots and woods an unfriendly place to have a flat.

Unless you don't care about the car next to you...

My shop is laid out so that I have to pull one rear axle at a time and then turn the truck around and pull the other because of the limited space on one side.

If I need to pull a carrier, I have to back it just outside the door.