Thread: Salvage Yard

Default Salvage Yard

Well, I tend to get wordy and yeah this is my first post so I apologize inadvance.
    I went to a junkyard which has been closed for years and didn't even know it was still there as you can not see it from the road. The old man that owned it supposed to have died years ago. I had heard that his son still had some old stuff as ' 60s muscle cars in there and that was my objective.
    Well the old man answered the door ( the junkyard was over the hill behind his house) after introducing myself I asked if I could look around his junkyard. He said he didn't own a junkyard...However he did own a salvage yard. And he let me walk back there to look around.
    WOW.
    No muscle cars were left except a few base Mustangs. But seeing 55,56,57 Chevys stacked on top of each other. I had a camera in my coat pocket but the battery was almost dead. I got a pic of Chevys. A lot of 50's and 60's cars in various states of rot and some '40s vehicles with trees growing through them. And there to one side under the trees, just as I was walking back, five M715s.
    Now only one had a salvagable tailgate out of the two that had them. Gauges were gone and one had its hood cracked opened and saw it was missing the valve cover and other parts. Only one has rements of its fabric top left. Seats didn't have any material left. These things have been sitting under the trees for a long, long time. None with winches or ever equiped by the bumpers that were on them.
    Now I have wanted a M715 but these would be more expensive to peice one together from each other and to buy parts. Well one didn't look too bad. What, other than a J truck, would be a good fit for the cab and box to be placed on?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

What a find! Seems that there are at least five more accounted for there in that salvage yard.

Just out of curiousity, were any of them Department of Forestry? Or did they have any military markings on them?

Still sounds as if there were quite a lot of parts there.

PM sent
    "We are here for the meeting!"

I just gotta say here that despite their present condition, It may be well worth your while to see what he'd take for the whole lot of them. What ever price he asked (within reason), I'm sure, would be easily made back if all you did was part them out. You never know, there just may be enough there to make one good running truck from all 5. Wish I'd found a deal like that around here. BTW did you notice if the cab bows and troop seats were there?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...le/salvage.jpg

I have two brothers that each want something in there but can not get them right now. They both did not like that I posted about it on here as they think people will be going in there before they can buy what they want. No one really is aware it's there and whats in it. He closed it years ago and kept the old stuff in the back and scraped the newer ( mid 70s) stuff out front. It seems as if he is saving it or something.
    Anyway, from this photo you can see the two 1955 Chevys on top of each other, the 56s are set back and out of the photo and the 57s are stacked in the next section. There is supposed to be a 57 Nomad in there somewhere. And you can tell how long this stuff has sat to have all those trees as tall as they are.
    It will be at least next weekend till I can go back out there. It's out in the country side.
    Last edited by sld; November 5th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.

Yeah, I know, those are 56s not 55s. I was going by my memory of them being stacked in 55,56,57 and then I looked at the photo after posting. Thought I took the photo of the 55 stack in front.