Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner

Default New owner

Proud new owner of a 1967 M715. Basically stock except for a SB Chevy conversion. Currently does not run and has no brakes, but with the help I have seen on this board I am sure I can get it rolling in a few weeks. Excellent body except for floor pans. Even has a tailgate! I look forward to getting help form everyone I can...haha. My first question is this...should I just get the brakes working or upgrade to power brakes right off? I am going to use this vehicle as weekend driver with light trail work and I plan on leaving a lot of it stock because it is already bullet proof. My thoughts are do the corvette conversiton master cylinder and go from there. Thanks for your help today and in the future.

The mstr cyl. upgrade is a good idea, but as for the power brakes, it's not necessary. The mstr cyl. upgrade is simply to provide separate reservoirs for the front and rear or simply to provide some insurance in case one end decides to let go (you'll still have braking ability on the other end).

nice paint job, looks just like mine. Little blue, little green, dash of yellow, some white, some rust... Cool truck though looks pretty solid
    67 M725

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd definitely go with the dual master cylinder and the power brakes if you plan on driving it.

You actually get to stop with this combo, and with consistency! The split circuit braking system is a must these days.

Power steering is a nice luxury too, but not absolutely necessary.

Interesting you mention that...during my first real in depth inspection of the truck it already has some type of power steering upgrade...it looks like a four bolt set-up, but is only using 3 of the bolts. From my reserach it looks like the J truck booster and master cylinder are the way to go, no?

One nice modification to sturdy up the 4 bolt box is to cut, drill or torche through the frame and add a sleeve of pipe or tube to run a bolt through to the 4th ear on the steering box from outside of the frame. I did this and it utilizes all 4 mounting bolts to sturdy things up. Welcome

the 715 has alot in common w the civ j trucks so alot of things are easy bolt up changes i think the brake master would be also
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Pulled my M/C & booster out of an '89 Grand Wagoneer and it was almost a bolt on - easy pleasey.

Default Goodun.

Now you have done it, way to go. I live between Ferndale and Paron if you ever get out this way, I have a runner, a junker and a work in progress, in 45 minutes I could fill you in on some details that would be of help (seems everyone has the same problems on the same parts quite often).

Excuuuuuse me! I didn't see that you lived in LR! My oversight! Hey and welcome!
    I live up in Springdale and White 433 and I have met a couple of times, there is a zoner named Wrecker in Ft. Smith...maybe we should all get together for a "Mid-South" regional shindig of some sort.
    Do you plan on a "rolling restore" or are you tearing it down? Now that I've got mine up and running we should plan a campout or something. If you're ever up this way give me a holler (Arkansas speak for notification...for the Norterners here) and I can show you all the scrapes on my knuckles from wrenching! hahaha Anyway, nice to see another Arky here and nice truck BTW.