Thread: trouble starting

Default trouble starting

67 jeep kaiser . just bought it 2 weeks ago , i wen't threw all the normal steps and it turns over good , has good comprssioen and is getting fuel. it ran when parked 4 years ago and the owner said it rain good . i'm getting power to distribator but between the cap and the plugs theres nothing .all wires look real good the plugs are good the cap rotor and coil all almost new and i just can figure it out? if any one can help please do .

one more question
    if i was to change the motor ? what motor would be the easiest and most depenfable choice and how much you think it would cost ?

make sure the distributor is turning while cranking and how did you ck for spark? its not real strong like a modern car isnt always easy in daylight to see the spark occur. is it good fresh gas? old gas wont fire, as for an engine swap cost would likley be in the thousands depending how you obtain the engine an other parts you will need, many here go further when they do an engine swap new trans, transfer, axles everything but the more you do the more it is. as for engine choice chev is of course the most popular an some ford and last amc although amc is the most direct (unmodified)fit. others here will add their expierence and recomendations
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I am no mechanic but there are little parts under the cap, ie. points and condenser, that may need replacing. Those parts are really cheap.

As far as motor swaps there are MANY threads on that subject, depends on what you want the truck for when you are done, and how much money and time you want to put into it.

The engine bay is big so most motors fit. It mostly boils down to time and money.

Welcome aboard, do a ton of reading, there is a plethora of knowledge here, most topics that you will be interested in answers to, have probably already been discussed, but don't hesitate to ask if you can't find the answers you are looking for. Almost everyone here is really nice and very helpful.

post some pictures when you get a chance.

Hey barnaby, welcome. I installed a Chevy 350. It did take some fitting and some custom fabricated parts but overall it was pretty easy (I did it all by myself in a 2 car garage if that tells you anything hahaha). I did spend alot more than I should have but if a guy wanted to do it for cheap I'd say you could do it all for around 1500 including adapters, hardware and fittings. My motivation was to have a 100% reliable, parts available anywhere and did I mention reliable engine.
    I am not a purist by a longshot but some people just have to keep it stock so I guess it's all in what you want for your own truck. Good luck and I'd definately think about loosing that boat anchor of an engine if it's giving you more than just "little" problems.

Change points, rotor, condenser and coil. Check the cap for burn/scorch marks. If it is badly marked then replace it. The coil is pretty easily fried if you leave the ignition on long enough to run the batteries down.

You guys sure are spending alot on your engine swaps. Mine's getting a bbc. I bought a chevy C60 for $400. After I took out the motor, trans, and winch, I recycled the truck and got $417 back. I'm putting on a used carb, new timing set, oil pump, and rear main. Deuce trans cost $220, 205 I got trading parts. Yes there is alot more time getting the parts, but thats half the fun!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Default same problems

I was have the same problems, bought a electronic ignition http://www.mseriesrebuild.com/ and a new Capacitor, and the old girl runs better than it ever has. Captain Jack

will they know what i need ?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Before spending or doing anything else, take a business card, and place it between the points, then pull it out and see what it looks like. It'll most likely be black or gray. Do this a couple of more times until its clean, then try and crank it and see if you have spark. Of course be sure the points are opening and closing and that the gap is set correctly too.

Sometimes, just sitting for a while, the points get a layer of corrosion, or contamination on them that will stop them from making contact. Even a fingerprint can do that.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    You guys sure are spending alot on your engine swaps. Mine's getting a bbc. I bought a chevy C60 for $400. After I took out the motor, trans, and winch, I recycled the truck and got $417 back. I'm putting on a used carb, new timing set, oil pump, and rear main. Deuce trans cost $220, 205 I got trading parts. Yes there is alot more time getting the parts, but thats half the fun!
    You must be installing a 366 or 427 if it came from a C60. You are aware that they are different from the 396, 427 car, and 454? The 366 and 427 truck motors are a taller deck. Good engines though.....