Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signature Icon idea

Default Signature Icon idea

It would be really cool if you had a CIB Icon for us Combat Infantry types.
    Seems like there is a good selection otherwise. Cool stuff.

Unfortunately we cant have everything....if we included one of these, we would need to include all of them...thats a tall order...and I dont know that anyone makes such smilie sized icons...the CIB one would be pretty hard to ID if it were that small.

The smilies we have are all things I have found on the net...they arent anything created by anyone here...I only wish I had that kind of time...

Earning a CIB is a tall order. No sweat. Thanks.

Anyone who earns such a thing from any branch of the military is deserving of great respect....dont get me wrong that I dont appreciate that.

I earned 1 ribbon when I was in...the USAF Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon...and, to me, its the lowest ribbon out there...simply because I won it for shooting leisurely in peacetime at a stationary target with no real pressure. Ribbons and medals won for service in certain theatres, battles, or for actions under fire, to me, count...medals and awards that require practice, dedication, and continued excellence in performance mean light years more than what I did.

I am actually kind of embarrassed when people ask if I won any medals...it seems so trivial compared to the other stuff...what I call the real medals....mine, to me, is more like the dollar store version of a real one...

If you served, and earned it, be proud!!!!
    I think you should have great pride in the fact that you served.
    I did not, I went to college, earned a Degree, and have a job that I am proud of (Firefighter Paramedic).
    But military service is very Honorable!! I can only speak for me, I tell my 2 little boys (3 and 4 yrs old) each and every time we see a soldier, that Soldiers are Hero's because they protect us. I can't get into the details that soldiers put their lives on the line for us, but when they are old enough to understand that I will. After 9-11 the term "Hero" got thrown around quite a lot. But know that I reserve that title for the select few.
    So be proud, you served, you earned it!
    Respectfully yours,
    Jeff

You should be proud Jon - after all you are one of only what? 6 people in the history of the USAF to earn the little thing. Of course only 19 USAF personal have actually even touched a firearm since the branch was kicked out of the Army.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

I am proud I, like my father, served. I just find the ribbon pretty inconsequential in the schme of things compared to anything for Valor, Courage, Self Sacrifice....etc....

Just yanking your chain Jon. Like you I have a box full of medals/ribbons where none were earned - even all the shooting ones were just too easy - so I ignore them. I have a couple that feel that I actually earned and am proud of - the rest just look pretty on the Class A's.

I dig...I have one but you have some you actually "earned".

Thanks for your service Ron!!

I didnt mean to imply you did not respect my idea. I didnt take it that way. As far as the medals go, it's not about medals. I served as a gunner in Iraq. It was an indescribable experience. I, like many of you was raised to be proud of my country and to always remember that the sacrifices of soldiers and Patriotic Americans is how we became the most powerful country on the planet.
    As a child while watching a movie my father explained to me what the badge was on the sodiers uniform. It was a Combat Infantrymans Badge. He explained that when you see this you can only imagine what that soldier had been through. There is only one way to earn a CIB. You must be an Infantryman in direct combat with the enemy.
    Well, my whole life I remembered that and throughout my career in the National Guard I figured I would never have the honor of wearing such an honorable icon on my uniform.
    What were the chances of some National Guard soldier being deployed into close combat with the enemy?
    HAAA!!! Well........ONE WEEKEND A MONTH MY ASS!!!!!!
    Kidding. I volunteered to go to Iraq and next thing you know there I was.
    To make a long story longer, I earned my CIB on DAY ONE in Bagdad.
    I didnt do anything special. I did what every other soldier would have done and shot my tail off in horror, got ed and did what I could to stay alive.
    Long story short........the CIB didnt seem so important anymore.
    That being said I hold it very close to my heart. Remember, that was only day one.
    What is important is the guy next to you. Your fellow Soldier, Airmen, Marine, Sailor etc.
    Regardless of wether they are combat soldiers or REMFs. It is a machine that can only operate succesfully with all of us offering ourselves up for our country.
    We would be nothing without support form each other. From beans to bullets, it doesnt happen by itself. I didnt survive my deployment without every other soldier doing thier part.
    The medals and the ribbons are nothing compared to what really matters.
    A combat soldier doesnt see ANY other soldier as anything but a brother. Be proud dammit! You are a Veteran of The United States Military! You are an American.
    You offered yourself and whatever enlistement entails. I have the greatest respect for you. Fellow sodliers are my heroes.
    Enough mushy bull**** AS YOU WERE!