Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My '715 has arrived - I'm not a happy trooper!

I believe the guys first name was Bob/Robert - I forget his screen name on here and his last name. He wasn't active here from what I remember; he just listed the truck for sale on the board.

He lived between Detroit and Lansing. Don't quote me but I just looked at a map of Michigan and Pickney rings a bell. I am sure he is no more than an hour from you.

The guy misrepresented the truck in every way. I paid about $1,500 too much for it...

Good that he wasn't part of the normal crew, but bad that you got screwed

Kind of funny that you bought one from here - I had to drive most of the way across PA to go get mine, but that was a LONG time ago.

Hope both of you guys get your trucks looking/driving as you want, then you can just enjoy!

Ron

Where in Pa/town did you get yours from? Did you buy one from Barry Yorwarth by chance? He is a great guy - I met him in person twice at his place in Paxinos, PA.

If I remember, once I get home I will get his full name...I must have it somewhere

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    I have to ask. How does the 12 volt conversion make it easier? I hear the same stuff from guys that convert 8 and 9n ford tractors from 6 to 12!
    12 volt conversions make bulb/headlight availability easier (any parts store has 'em) Starters and alternators are much more easy to find. Try to get a 24 volt starter in any reasonable time and price. Also have an issue with a dead battery once and need a jumpstart? You'll quickly see the merits of a 12 volt conversion. I don't have many friends who can just run out with their 24 volt military trucks and help me out.

As far as the conversions on the Ford 8N's, I did my '52 because I use it for work, not for fun, and it never wanted to start in the cold with the junky old 6 volt stuff. The combination of 6 volt slowness, a weak 6 volt coil, and an updraft carburetor made a 20 degree morning an almost guaranteed no-start. Plus the foolish placement of the start button on the transmission was trashed in favor of a conventional key ignition switch. Now it starts immediately and easily everytime. Plus, all my lights are no longer candles in the dark, and I can run an alternator instead of a generator with a mile of extra wiring and an external regulator.

I don't remember who/what town, but it wasn't Barry. I was out to his place a couple of times and wish I had bought one of his trucks. I did get a bunch of stuff like the CUCV axles, Dodge 205, troop seats, hard top, OEM drivers seat, and more I'm sure. The last time I was at his place I only went for the axles but was smart/dumb enough to bring some extra cash and ended up with the 205 & troop seats - would have been more if I had had the cash!

The guy I bought it from was into lawn mower racing and up in the hills - cool guy as long as you wanted to talk about a lawn mower that goes 50+ lol

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    How does the 12 volt conversion make it easier? I hear the same stuff from guys that convert 8 and 9n ford tractors from 6 to 12!
    My NAA actually starts everytime now. That alone, nevermind lights you can see by and a battery that lasts more than 1 year, was worth swapping to 12v.

The cost of the conversion alone says your wrong. bulbs are cheap from napa. Caps for ya IF IT AINT BROKE! Somebody always wants to reinvent the wheel.The reason 8 and 9 are converted to 12 is so the spin fas enough to start cause their wore out.6 volt will spin longer than 12 but not as fast.
    Last edited by vrod02; October 25th, 2007 at 11:22 PM. Reason: coment on the tractor i left out.

can you post pics?
    my signature is sweet huh?

although i dont own a 6v vehicle i never really bought in to the 12v conv being the only way for them to work, after all for all the yrs everything was 6v if it was so useless how did any thing ever start or run? if the vehicle is in proper operating cond as well the starter and gen, proper battery cables w good connection and a top quality high rated 6v batt(the new optima) it should do just fine. i can still hear my old neighbors 6v 49 ford starting up- it hardly turned an it was going even in the winter.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The 6V and 12V argument could go on forever I suppose.

My 8N completely rebuilt, ground crank, new sleeves, new valves, etc, still wouldn't start reliably and a 6 volt starter rebuild and associated parts cost more than a conversion. I had a 12 volt GM alternator and coil laying around, and I can get 12 volt stuff everywhere anytime. Next step is going to be to lose the points.

I restore old British bikes for a living and everything prior to 1964 was 6 Volt. Try getting caught on a dark, even rainy night with a 30 watt 6 volt, generator supplied headlight and tell me its better or even OK. It sucks and makes life both dangerous and foolish at the same time. The same bike with a 12 volt alternator has a 60 watt halogen headlamp, electronic ignition, and a stop light/tailight that can bee seen more than 10 feet behind you. I don't see how 6 volt is better. Besides, there must be a reason why its been in use for more than 40 years now.