Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn signal switch issues

Default Turn signal switch issues

So while looking into my brake light issue I took the turn signal switch apart and found problems.

Inside there are 16 prongs, 2 rows on top of 4 each and a mirror of that on the bottom. I get that when you flip the switch certain prongs are pushed together and others move apart to open/close circuits.

My problem is that on the top row, the upper prong closest to the base has melted into the plastic rod that it pushes into with the switch in a certain (I think neutral) position. And on the bottom row have a very similar situation but with 2 prongs.

I was able to break all of them free but now how do I go about fixing the plastic rods? And maybe a better question, Why would this happen? I suspect a short causing too much current flow and therefor the prongs overheated and melted their way into the plastic....

But I am less of an electrician than I am a mechanic.

Do I/should I just replace the whole switch?

I will try to take a pic because the wordy description is confusing me.

Here is a picture (I hope).

And one with it apart.

I have seen the insids of 4 seperate 3 lever light switches...and each one is very different from the others.

There is nowhere to get pieces to repair the insides...that I have heard of anyway.

I would get a new one...they are common and still used on new trucks.

(brute he was talking about a t/s switch) just the same the t/s switch isnt serviced either you would just get a new one however there are two designs the orignal one from sparton and the later military standard electronic type. the switch and flashers and unique to each design so they dont interchange the way to tell is the flasher under hood the orignal is a large box with two rows of wires screwed on the outside an the later electronic is small with a harness and connector coming out of it which you have determines which switch you need to get, yours seems to look like the early type sparton, a surplus guy here in ca sells them ill have to get his info for you it walker auto truck wrecking their number is 760 244 8060
    Last edited by george walker; October 23rd, 2007 at 01:44 PM.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Well...ok...I have taken my Spartan switch apart and it looks nothing like that either.

On the linked page below, the first 2 pics show the early style turn signal setup, interior control and underhood distribution box. There are pics of the newer setup at the bottom of the page...the 2 pics just before the last one on the page.
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?...signal_convert

You can get the early switch and distrbution box from Saturn Surplus:
    http://www.saturnsurplus.com/m715/m715.htm
    Scroll down to:
    Turn Signal Dist. Box $46.50
    Turn Signal Switch $20.00

thanks guys, mine is not the Sparton type, it is the other one. Guess I know what I'll be be ordering next.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

I am in the hunt for a replacement, although I am trying to repair the plastic with epoxy. I don't know if it will work but we'll see.
    Anyone have one not being used? I emailed ABLinn and he is sending me a price. Like always VPW wants 3 1/2 x what Saturn sells them for, only Saturn is out of stock right now.

This is what the front looks like.

I am looking for one that works, the better the condition the more I am willing to pay.....
    Somewhere between shipping and $35 + shipping I would guess.

Thanks guys,
    Jeff

There is one on Ebay but its more than you are thinking at present:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-military-hum...QQcmdZViewItem

I have had the same problem w/ the turn signal switch melting. I have taken a hot knife and smoothed the plastic out on the posts and I'm good for another few months. When the plastic posts get really bad, I have applied some JB Weld and sanded smooth to get additional life. After 4 or 5 "rebuilds", I replace the switch w/ new (about 20,000 miles). I also clean the contacts when I have the switch apart. I have talked w/ others who have had similar issues so it is not unusual for these switches.

Why does this happen - I'm guessing high resistance and the related heat. That's why I cleaned the contacts. I guess it helps a little but I have not found a way to prevent the switch from melting. Hope that helps a little.