Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUA CUCV's

Default SUA CUCV's

I wanted to go spring under when I saw how high my truck would sit with CUCV SOA but all the people (4x4 shops and welders) I talked with said that cutting the webbing back on the diff would weaken it too much. I then asked them about notching the perch to straddle it and they said it wouldn't be reliable enough on cast.

How many have done this on cucv axles?

My intensions were to upgrade the axles but have been steered away from modifying the diff housing and it has left my truck looking too far from stock for my taste.

The two trucks I have seen with spring under CUCV axles under them did plenty on the trails and sufferered no problems. Both had a little meat cut away from the webbing and the perch.

If you plan running the whoop te does on a motocross track, then you might have problems. Otherwise, be smart, plan ahead and make it work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Lee ran any trail & mud with a heavy 4BT and that cut perch. If you look at the metal you are cutting away you are just returning it to what a normal pumpkin looks like. If it bothers you you could add a tube brace but like Tim says - unless you plan on jumping your slowazz heavy underpowered truck then I wouldn't worry - and if you are then you need to get your head examined! lol

No, no jumping for me, I"m afraid of heights.

I'm glad to hear this from y'all since it is the cheapest way I can see to put it back close to stock.

Do you remember him saying anything about modifying the tank to clear the rear diff or having to trim out the crossmember to clear the front shaft?

Since I'm saving up for the driveshafts still I cannot give you first hand knowledge, but when I asked both Brian and Lee said that the rear was fine - I think Lee got away fine with the front but Brian had to elongate the hole if I remember correctly.
    Sorry I cannot be more help.

Ron

Thanks. I don't know of any advantages of divorced over married trans/transfer other than only pulling one at a time when needed or running matching shafts front and rear but I was thinking of going to married. It would move the transfer forward and give more clearance in crossmember.

ronnie

Lee had a divorced NP 205. He also had a stainless steel tank built because of rot in his original. I think he had them trim that corner closest to the shaft "just in case."

Brian ran a married 205/465 and had no clearance issues. Somewhere I have pictures taken from under both trucks. I just need to find them I guess.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I'm thinking of going SUA, it seems like alot less trouble all the way around. The guy that looked at mine said he didn't see any problems welding my perches on, it's a spring shop, so I'm guessing they would know. my,.02.

If you can find them i'd like to see them Barrman.
    I wasn't thinking, y'all are probably running the original spring hangers and I'm not. Mine were broken and patched on when I got the truck so I cut them off and made some new that mount under frame rails so the perches lined up great for SOA but the u bolts are crowding the diff cover bolts.

Wellllll, I have lots of pictures of both trucks. But, I was more interested in how to mount a big block and or a 205. So, I didn't get a single axle shot. Here is a shot of Lee's truck that shows the stance with XL tires and a spring under.

Here is the same truck going through a deep trench.

Here is Tom's spring over Rockwelled truck on 42" tall tires at about the same spot for a comparison.