Thread: Split rims and Lock rings

Default Split rims and Lock rings

Below are a couple of pictures of an old 16" wheel with a split rim and a M715 wheel lock ring for comparision. You can see from the first picture how much larger the M715 lockring is than the same size ring on the splitrim.

In inner lip of the split rim ring is only about 1/4" deep. The inner lip of the M715 lock ring is about 1.5" deep. Because of this extra depth the m715 lockring is held in place by the tire itself whereas the split rim ring is only held in place by the force exerted by the tire bead on the wheel.

The lip of the M715 lockring which covers the bead is also more substantial than the lip on the splitrim ring.

has anyone ever noticed that there are 2 designs of wheel on the 715? it seems wheels w/ a production date of 67 all have similar shaped lug nut holes wheels stamped w/ a later production date have lug nut holes in which every other lug nut hole is raised up from the other so that 3 holes are flat to the wheel surface and three are raised up from the wheel surface i dont know if it was a necessary design change or just a difference in manafacturers
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

One theory is that those wheels with the alternating countersink were intended to be used as duals. I have seen them occasionally but they are not very common.

thats what i have....my rims are also rivited
    my signature is sweet huh?

I think we'd all like a picture of that riveted wheel of yours. I recall seeing something different about the wheels from the first pictures we saw of that truck. Post some detail shots of your wheels if you get a chance. Thanks!
    -- Tim Taylor

Kwai, Thanks for those pictures and tech.

I think duals on these trucks would rock!