Thread: Engine turn over

Exclamation Engine turn over

68' M715 stock 230. I have 2 new batteries just repaired the rear main last weekend. Drove the truck for a while yesterday, ran fine. Went to start it this morning and the truck sounds like it has a heavy amp load and the batteries are not giving enough juice. When I check the batteries I have 12.8 volts? but the truck will barely turn over. Any ideas? Tried to start it for 15 seconds or so by then sounds dead. I checked for bad ground and loose connections found nothing so far. I am going to check the spark plugs next. I don't know much about the points and what they do. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated
    Time is irrelevant.

its a small forum, one thread will do.

load test your batteries, and are the connections clean? take them off clean them, charge the batteries and try again.

and most of all its a 24v system.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Donkey View Post
    68' M715 stock 230. I have 2 new batteries just repaired the rear main last weekend. Drove the truck for a while....
    Rear main as in crankshaft? Being that it does not seem to turn over, that's the first place I'd begin to look.

It turns over both batteries have 12.8 and 12.8 in each battery. I checked the plug closest to the fan and it has a lot of carbon on it so I ordered new ones. Hope fully its the plugs. all the connections are tight electrically. and the main is fine I ran the truck for the day.
    Time is irrelevant.

How many cranks will you get out of 25 volts before you don't have enough to start? Should have been one of my ?'s
    Time is irrelevant.

I would add a 4 ga. ground wire from alternator negative to frame and frame to battery and one from frame to body. Just to be safe. Sounds like you have a grounding issue.

check a battery system called series 2 12 volt batteries connected together to create 24 volts,[a pos to the other battery neg] & another called parallel 2 batteries connected pos to pos creating only 12 volts. one of your batteries should be measuring 24 volts at the pos. post if they are installed correctly. also check for 24V at the starter when starter button is applied . Good battery cables & connections ,even high resistance in a starter button can drop voltage. your starter could be bad. Pos to need your crank seal job rechecked. will it turn over by hand? ratchet on front of engine. just a thought. Boonie
    INDIANA FFL

Grounding was the problem. thanks for the perspectives.
    Time is irrelevant.