Thread: steering gear adjusting

Default steering gear adjusting

after a few years of driving with loose steering I checked my front end found a worn tie rod end on the drag link, so while i had it off for that i took out the strg box as well to tigthen it up. following the manual section '14-21 strg gear clearance adj.' I reset the backlash as specified and you can see in the above pic I only needed one special tool and its only $40 (k-d tool 2955).find a socket that just fits over the input shaft, install tourqe wrench. then loosen the lock nut and turning down the adj screw until I got a reading of about 20 inch lbs. on the touqe wrench (spec is 14-29 in.-lbs) while rotating it thru the center point of travel. go in both directions and use the highest reading, then hold adj screw and tigthen back the lock nut. after reinstalling the strg was so much better . it will take a bit to get used to the new feel and i dont get so much 'feedback' from the road like when hitting potholes and bumps jerking the wheel. I had to replace the tie rod end at the other side of the drag link so i took it all out it isnt necessary to remove the drag link for this. the next job for that torque wrench is to adj the preload in my transfer case output assys.when i reseal it. I found you can do it and leave the transfer in the truck.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Nice to see someone do it right.......Great pic too!

Similar Threads

1. warwick : steering gear oil ?
    By PseudoZone in forum PseudoZone - Open Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 11th, 2009, 01:41 AM
  2. Adjusting Valves
    By kyken in forum Stock Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
  3. How do you lube the steering gear?
    By rboltz in forum Stock Tech
    Replies: 1