Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: u bolts

Default u bolts

when ever i did my leaf over axle i had changed my u bolts over to chevy. the stock ubolts were like half the size, and sucked, i had to cut one off becouse it was rusted solid. but anywas the chevy ones work perfict, look beefer, their a little long, but they look like they will perform better

my signature is sweet huh?

Certainly beefier, but they appear to be for a larger diameter axle tube. You really need to get some for the right diameter tube or they'll elongate and loosen in pretty short order. I'd hate to hear about your axle coming out from under the truck at speed.

Make sure the center pin is locked into both the spring perch and top plate good too.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

the u bolt touch the axil, its just where you see the sunlight is where its not making contact, but otherwise they snug that axle...is that still a problem, i can keep a eye on it and keep trying to tighten it up. and ill have to work on some new plates, im prety shure their stock chevy....ill have to try and find some more

Even with no gap, new u-bolts can stretch and require retightening, so yeah, if there's a gap anywhere I'd be keeping a close eye on it and tighten it back up as it forms to the axle tube. I'd be nervous about driving it very far without check it, five miles for the first trip could be more than enough to have it work loose.

On the spring plates, I'm not opposed to building your own, but keep in mind the upward V on that chevy one, and the upward bent ends on stock ones are there for a reason. Adds to the rigidity of them to keep them from bowing over the spring pack and creating slack on the u-bolts. You can either find a way to mimic the bends, weld a reinforcing rib or ribs on, or simply use thick enough plate that bending will never be an issue.
    Last edited by Doug; October 22nd, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

i was thining, maby weld a washer under the plate so the bolt going through the packing will go inside the washer as well as the perches

Going that route, I'd be more tempted to weld in a piece of plate. Something with a little heft to it. Cut it to fit flush and drill it to just barely slip over the centering pin. Your typical washer would distort easily IMO.

Not trying to be critical, but our trucks are pretty heavy, and with big tires and trail riding you'll be putting a lot of stress on those particular parts. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    i was thining, maby weld a washer under the plate so the bolt going through the packing will go inside the washer as well as the perches
    I don't understand why that would help anything. What are you trying to do here? What part are you worried about and/or trying to fix or strengthen?

As as side note, I've never used regular washers, I've always gotten the good thick washers from the spring shop I get all my stuff from. I just have them custom bend me up some u-bolts and everything.

As another side note, what did you torque your nuts down to?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I think he was meaning he would weld the washer to the underside of the currently pictured spring plate so the center pin could lock into it. Guessing it's not tall enough to reach the raised hole right now.

The spring center pin (the threaded pin that goes through all of the leafs and helps hold them together) should stick out and fit into the center hole on the spring perch that is welded to the axle tube, correct?

He wants to weld a washer to the U-bolt plate for the centering pin? Meaning he didn't undo that center pin and flip it over?

I guess I'm still just confused as to what he's trying to accomplish and for what reason. Or what it is he is worried about happening if he leaves it alone as it is right now.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

The center pin should lock into both the spring perch and plate, with that chevy plate being raised in the center as it is, the stock pin wont reach the hole.