Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: stock rims modified

Default stock rims modified

ok, im prety shure that everyone that has these rims hates them becouse of all the stories about them. you know their called the widowmakers becouse if you mess with those rings, or even so much as pump up a tire the ring can pop of and kill you, i like the way these rims look, and plus they came with my truck, im thinking about cutting of the rivits that are holding the rim together and take the center and put it in another rim. so therfor gets rig of that locking ring that can pop off. is it a bad idea, i understand balincing would be a issue. but what do you think
    my signature is sweet huh?

being the truck only goes 55mph and runs big ol clunky tires anyways i dont think the balance would be an issue unless of course you can do hiway speeds

Quote Originally Posted by foodstamp View Post
    ok, im prety shure that everyone that has these rims hates them becouse of all the stories about them. you know their called the widowmakers becouse if you mess with those rings, or even so much as pump up a tire the ring can pop of and kill you, i like the way these rims look, and plus they came with my truck, im thinking about cutting of the rivits that are holding the rim together and take the center and put it in another rim. so therfor gets rig of that locking ring that can pop off. is it a bad idea, i understand balincing would be a issue. but what do you think
    Rivets? Where do you see rivets on these rims?????

The very early rims have rivets to mount the center section to the can. Later model rims are welded.

The lockring wheels used on the M715 (and other military vehicles) are different from the legendary "widowmaker" split rim wheels. These wheels are much easier to mount and dismount safely with the proper tools and most big truck tire shops do this regularly.

I just mounted my "new" (made in 8/2003) Michelin XZL tires (with no sidewall or tread cracks) last week on a set of stock M715 wheels. Used new tubes and flaps. I drove over 70 miles last Saturday over pavement and dirt roads everywhere from a crawl to 65 mph (only for a short sprint). Even at 50-65 mph I noticed no vibrations from the tires/wheels and the wheels were not balanced.

You can take the center and have it mounted in another wheel (Bob Cowan's wheels are done this way) but it is fairly expensive. Expect to pay $150-$250 per wheel.

If you are planning on 38" or smaller tires, the stock wheels will probably work fine.

If you are planning on 40" and larger tires, you probably will want to get a custom wheel made, although the stock axle strength becomes a critical factor.

im thinking 42's...but depends on the budjet.....so you think that these rims are ok, no stories about them poping off and killing anyone? my rear tire keeps going flat, and it scares the poop out of me to pump it up hoping that the ring wont pop off.

i want it to have more of a back space (make it like a inch or 2 wider)

Marsh racing wheel are very affordable. Do your research and will you will decide to go with them.

as with all things you get what you pay for.
    jmo
    bob

As long as the bead (of a correct 16" tire) is over the split ring, the ring can not pop off. So said the tire shop pro who did mine. He says he works with plenty of dangerous ones, but said the M715 wheels are just fine, so long as the bead is over the ring.

Simply looking at one will convince you of this if this doesn't.

The only real limiting factor with these wheels is the narrow width. An 11" tire is as wide as I'd go.
    -- Tim Taylor

ok, thanks, ill have to take a rim to les shauab (how ever you spell it) and see what they can do. would 11 look good on it?