Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yet another NP 200 thread

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Yet another NP 200 thread

I need some real-world experience, not just personal opinions of the NP200. I know some like em' and some hate em'.

I have heard that they have their failings, overheating, noisy, etc. For those of you still running them: how do they work for you?

My plan is very little highway running, maybe 20-30 miles to a wheeling spot, then trail all day. I probably won't get over 45 MPH at that.

At some point I do want to do a swap, but not right away. I keep having someone tell me it won't last at all.................

Thanks in advance.

Mine works great unless I run an hour or more at 60 and then it overheats.
    The whine starts in the 35-40 mph range and gets louder as you go faster...in your scenario, it probably wouldn't be a big deal to worry about...I wouldn't have swapped the shaft in that situation.

The 200 is rugged and strong, shifts easy and lasts.If you do get it really hot due to high speed, the seals will leak...

At trail speeds, you wont know the difference between a 200 and a 205.

If you're not going to do much highway, I'd keep the 200 if it was in good shape. I've driven mine with a utility box on back, around if not over 2 tons of rock and sand, and the t case has never given me any problems. I think my empty weight is around 9500 pounds. No problems 4x4ing, either. The previous owner used the truck in his contracting business, so I know it has quite a bit of highway miles on it, and it's still fine- not fast, but fine, lol.
    I am planning on highway driving for my truck (hunting and to/from cabin), so I know I'll be swapping out a 205 in the future. I'm a big fan of "if it works leave it alone"- I'f you're happy with the 200, I'd leave it in- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I agree, randyscycle. It's only real issues are 1) noise and 2) heat build-up that can damage seals. But if you keep it at or under 55 mph, you should never have an issue with the 200.
    -- Tim Taylor

I have been using mine as you have described (some driving mostly wheeling) and have had no troubles from it. They are a very strong case, just has some heat issues. RUN IT!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Thanks so much! I figured it should be OK as there are plenty of them around. A certain person has warned me that it won't last at all, no matter what. That person also said they have straight cut gears which I am pretty sure isn't true either.

I also seem to recall someone discussing installing a temp guage in their 200. If so, what was the normal temp range? How about a cooler?

I've also heard the gears are straight cut. Not that that's really a bad thing, eh? Other than being an older way of doing it, with heat build-up as a result, but they are indeed straight-cut, are they not?
    -- Tim Taylor

No they are not straight cut. It's one of BC's favorite things to say, unfortunately it's incorrect.

I thought they were straight cut gears which is why they are noisey at speed.

i have rebuilt a few of them the gears are NOT straight cut, and the noise comes from the fact that they use tapered bearing as opposed to roller type as common in most other designs so as in setting up a wheel brg or a diff. pinion (which all use tapered brg's.) preload is important if its to loose they will whine, it only takes about 30000 miles for this preload setting to get loose enough to start whining in these, if you wanted to go through the time to take the assy out you can reset the preloads an get a much quieter unit.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710