Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little more progress

Default A little more progress

With the talk of roll bars and cages I thought I would share what I have been working on.

In the cab half cage, I may decide to add on later to make a full cage, but this will do for now. It clears the top bows nicely, and bolts through the cab floor with plates underneath that can be easily tied to the frame.

Finally finished my custom fairlead bumper for the Ramsey 8,000 lb. PTO winch I installed

I mounted it to the front crossmember and through the bumper for a nice clean tucked look that won't iterfere with my front approach angle and built the fairleads into the bumper with nice 30 degree bevels.

This is the pillow block mount from the frame crossmembers I built to support the factory PTO pillow block. Thanks to everyone who helped out in this Mod.
    Last edited by Binford; October 2nd, 2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Removed duplicate picture

VERY Nice work. Don't depend on that roll bar to protect your noggin. I have seen what happens when a truck goes turtle with just a single rear hoop. It's NOT pretty.

You've got a good start on your roll cage, however. MUCH nicer looking than mine! LOL!

Thanks, one of the pictures I means to post didn't show up and two pics of the same thing did? Oh well. For now I will live with a half cage as I don't intend to do anything hard core wheelin wise. More of a place to put a light and fire extinguishers. But I can add to it very easy for a full cage. It is 2" 1/4 wall square tubing. I don't think round looks good on these trucks. I really liked what Spicergear had in his and was trying for something similiar.

Very nice PTO winch install, I really like it. Always top notch work. I need to get onto finishing mine.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Very nice Fisherman. Could you post a pick of the top of the bar and maybe how you reinforced the floor for the mount. I was thinking kickers of the top running into the bed between the troop seats, reinforcing the bed floor or somehow getting to the frame. All would unbolt. Very clean work on the winch by the way. 2 thumbs.

Default Top of roll bar

Heres a pic of the top of the roll bar. The mounting pads are built to sit on the cab floor with equal pads located under the cab steel, drilled through the cab floor. The mounting pads are drilled as close to undercab body supports as I could get. It will stay like this for awhile or maybe forever. I will decide if I am going to finish to a full cage and tie it into the frame down the road. Probably won't need to but well see.

Todd, off subject but what type of radiator are you going to use? I ask because The two factory corner braces going to the front crossmember to the frame rails really get in the way of a taller radiator. Just curios how you are going to tackle that since you are doing such a great job on the rest of the truck.

I have a factory radiator out of the J-3000 truck I parted out. It was the engine donor, power steering donor, radiator donor, heater donor, you get the picture. I'm not worried as I have mocked it up. Yes I did narrow my factory front grill for the fsj truck radiator to fit properly. Also I have done a 3/4 inch body lift so the front end will get lifted to match. I am not to far away from installing the front clip. Need to paint a few more things and work the inside of the cab over a bit and I'll be on to the front clip and wiring. And as always I'll keep the pictures coming. I find as everyone else does mods or finishes their trucks their pictures are incentive for me, so I enjoy everyone elses pictures. Keep em coming.

Todd, as always you do some beautiful work. Verrry clean looking. Nice touch to arch the upper bow, looks blended. That winch setup it is hard-core too! You should contact JP mag to do a special build story on your truck, seriously.

Todd, will that bar fit inside the canvas top or are you planning on driving with out a top?
    Zone holster maker