Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tornado 230 information

Default Tornado 230 information

Just want to start by saying that this site is great, much better than the willys listserve I take part in.

I have a civilian willys wagon with the tornado.
    I also have an NOS short block that I think is a military model. It has some tapped holes on each side of the block that look like they should be for the military motor mounts.

I have searched the forums and found some good info but if someone can steer me in the right direction it will save me some search time. I have read that the military models were all 7.5:1 but the engine number seems to indicate that it is 8.5:1.

I'm affraid this block may not swap with my civi engine, but I would like to hear what some better informed folks have to say.

Thanks in advance.

Tornado was Kaiser not willys. Hell of a swap if thats what you got! You probably ment hurricane?

The wagon is all original, willys used the 6-230 OHC Tornado also.

After an initial look at some of the schematics, I think that I may be able to attach my front motor mount plate to the military block. I know there are some out there with a lot of knowledge about these engines, please help.

Hurricane was the f-head the six is a Super Hurricane
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Blazink First of all Welcome! Heres a link for you.

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...rticle=oldiron

Actually the willys wagon continued in production until 1964 with models left over being finally sold as 65's, so in late 62 they were fitted with the 230 which makes them a rare model today. as far as the block working with your civ parts I had heard but dont know as a fact that the military eng used an extra bolt in the water pump an timing cover than the civ one an if that is the case it might be a problem fitting the civ timing cover? maybe someone else here knows for sure if thats true
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Very interesting! I was always told the 230 Tornado was the one and only engineered and "built" by jeep , Kaiser. Willys f and L ford, amc well amc's and Chystlers yuck! I shouldnt say that the 4.0 is pretty awsome. Anyway this looks to be an interesting thread and if willys had them first.... very cool info.

The civilian and mil engines have many differences the preclude such a swap.

The timing covers and waterpumps are different. The civvy timing cover is wider than the mil one and bolts to that plate that has the motor mounts on the lower edges. That plate makes up the difference for the wider timing cover to fit the block and the narrower head...it isnt just a motor mount plate, its also a kind of adapter.
    The head also is different in that the front of the mil head has triangles on it that increase its width right behind the timing cover and the civvy one doesnt, straight as an arrow...
    The mil head has a hole that isnt drilled on the civvy one...at the top of the timing cover, on the upper, drivers side edge, there is a bolt and nut that goes through the timing cover and the engine mount plate. The bolt to the passenger side right next to that goes through the timing cover, the motor mount plate and then into the head.
    The front seal on the block has an additional "water excluder seal" that isnt on the civvy head.

I bought a 1966 Jeep Wagon...yeah I know, they didnt make them in 66...but they did in 65 and it didnt sell till 66 so it got a 66 title. The reason I bought it was for the civvy 230...I took the 2 barrel carb, intake, civvy distributor and some other parts off for spares...like the rocker arms and cam deck. I know this one is a 65 due to Jeep using the 2300 Holley 2 barrel in 64 and then the 2415 Holley in 65 and 66 on the 230...mine has the 2415.

Remember that Kaiser bought Willys in 1953 and kept the Willys name on the company till 1963 when the name was changed to Kaiser...the use of the Willys name continued in some areas of the company as the name still held (holds) clout.

Thanks for the info brute4c.
    Should I forget about the swap?
    One or two tapped holes doesn't sound like a huge difference.

Do you know about the compression ratio? Accordingto the numbers this block is built with 8.5:1.
    Thanks for the help.