Thread: Why Won't It Crank?

Default Why Won't It Crank?

My M715 will not crank! Turns over fine, has gas to the carb.(year old carb.) will hit a few time when gas or starter fluid is shot/poured into the carb.
    Am I missing something? I can't believe the carb has gone bad, it is new and mounted by a "professional mechanic" and I have had no problem with starting in the past? Any ideas area appreciated.
    James G.

Man, I'm no expert by a longshot but have you checked all three things, Air, Fuel and Fire? Fuel Pump diaphragm, shorted coil, clogged air filter, bad gas, vacuum leak. I'm sure you have checked all this stuff already, but like you said maybe it's just something small.???
    BTW, come over and take a look at sometime Frankenstein when you get a chance.

Check and see that there is good spark...look down the throat of the carb and work the lnkage to check if gas is squirting...

If not those, might want to make sue the timing didnt jump last tme ou had it running and shut it off...

You said it "will hit a few times" when gas or starter fluid is put in the carb. Do you mean it actually fires up and runs for a few seconds? If so, you have spark and it's likely a carburetor issue. Check for the gas squirting in the throat as brute mentioned. It sounds like it's probably in the carb.
    -- Tim Taylor

fuel pump issue is my guess.Pull the line going to the carb crank see if you got pressure good time to put a inline fuel filter, clear. Check your rubber fuel lines tank area, frame drivers sidee.I was having problems sitting overnight. Turns out these rubber lines were bad and sucking air.
    P.S. its cranking fine! Good luck

I had spark but it wasn't strong - it was present though. I took the distributor housing apart and pulled the original coil. It was cracked all over. Put in a new coil and it fired right up effortlessly. Funny thing was that there was spark, just not enough to fire it! It would crank sometimes and sometimes it would fire....new coil solved everything!

Put in a clear fuel filter so that you can see if you are getting fuel. Also, today's fuel doesn't last long if you don't put a stabilizer in it. If you are getting fuel and only fires once in a while or not at all, then coil is the second thing to change. If you are getting no fuel, then either you fuel line is plugged or the pump is bad.