Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: valve guide seals

Default valve guide seals

anyone here replaced valve guide seals for smoking (during startup and shifting) and did it help . also the manual seems to describe adjusting the valves with the engine running? has anyone done it w the engine off? what is the napa number for valve guide seals and v/c gasket
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Don't do the valve adjustment with the engine running. The timing chain will sling oil everywhere. Just warm it up, turn it off, pull the valve cover and adjust one lobe at a time to the proper specs.

Mine by the way were making noise because they were too tight. Don't assume that because they are loud that it is because of being too loose.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I have almost never seen a smoking engine cured by valve seals. Typically if they are worn enough for it to smoke, so is everything else like the piston rings.

You can try and see if a set of seals helps, but in my experience its been wishful wrenching.

I have almost never seen a smoking engine cured by valve seals. Typically if they are worn enough for it to smoke, so is everything else like the piston rings.

You can try and see if a set of seals helps, but in my experience its been wishful wrenching.
    I might agree with you but most 40 yr old trucks are high mileage. Ours are usually less than 20000 miles. I doubt the engine is wore out unless it was abused. Chances that the rubber seals are dried out from age is pretty high though.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    I might agree with you but most 40 yr old trucks are high mileage. Ours are usually less than 20000 miles. I doubt the engine is wore out unless it was abused. Chances that the rubber seals are dried out from age is pretty high though.
    Good point! My 715 had 10,000 showing on the clock when I got it. Of course it had no engine......

Most of the ones around here let out a big puff upon start up. A few smoke while driving, but mostly just the puff. That is almost always valve seals.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I replaced my valve seals last year with new ones from Memphis Equipment - they were like $2.00 a piece which was a bit expensive. I think it ran like $30 shipped for a set of 12.

Mine would smoke on startup and then smoke just a tiny bit after...the new seals cured that problem. The old ones were intact, but were as hard as rocks.

As far as setting the valve lash, I have to disagree with Barmann. I made an oil splash guard out of a scrap piece of metal flashing. I cut it with a pair of Wiss hand held plier like shears. It took me all of about a minute to cut a piece to fit. Actually, the flashing works great because it is flexible and all I did was push it down into the head where the timing chain recess is and it holds by itself.

I installed the homemade splash shield, turned down the rpm's down as low as I could go (maybe 400 rpm's) and adjusted away. It was easy as pie and it ran as quiet as a sewing machine. Doing it with the engine not running works, but its a hassle turning the engine over by hand and hoping the cam is in the sweet spot to get dead on adjustment.

I saved the crummy splash shield that I made but it works great and cost me nothing but a minute or two with shears.
    Last edited by Fastfrankie; September 25th, 2007 at 12:05 PM.

Disagree all you want. We are all here to learn new things and yours seems to work. Matter of fact, I am bringing Agengr's truck into my class Wednesday. I might get my students to rig up something like you described.

I just never saw the need to make something for mine since I knew for 3 years before I swapped in the Big Block that I was just working on a temperary engine and I didn't see the point of doing much besides keeping it running.

I wanted to do the valve lash w engine off I remember doing old slant 6's running and it was just a little difficult to feel the clearance well that way. Yea mine only smokes on start an shifts so i know the valve seals are done jus wanted to know if it had helped much for others who had replaced them. An does anyone know the napa number ( valve cover and guide seals too) I know they are at memphis an others but I have gotten alot lately an shipping has added alot, so id rather just pay the parts store a bit more an have it now than pay the shipping an wait a week or so.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

George,

I agree that Memphis charges alot for everything and their shipping is high. As far as correct valve seals, I wouldn't want to have to do that job twice. It wasn't bad but with the Memphis seals, you know they are 100% correct and won't leak down any oil.

Going with another valve seal made specificaly for another motor, you run the risk of getting one that may fit a bit loose on the stem and then oil may get by. Now you have to do the job again...all to save $20? I'd bite the bullet and get the right ones from the get-go.

Funny you mention the slant six...that was the first engine I was taught how to adjust valve lash...and yes it was with it running at like 400 rpms! Too funny...brought back memories