Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pictures of New Life Top Installed

I combated the "snare drum" effect by getting some body panel caulking from my local auto body paint shop. It came in an pressurized can and comes out like bathtub sealer. It is paintable and comes off pretty easy if you don't use too much. I just used a very thin bead all around the door. It pretty much eliminated the door rattle.
    M715 W/W, M37

You mean around the inside off the door?

Thumbs up

Very nice! I will go with a contrast top as well. Looks like I know where to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    Thanks Tim, it does look alot better when enlarged. There is still something wrong with my computer, whenever I choose the biggest picture option on imageshak the site says cannot accept upload or some such and the next size down are all that comes up?!?
    What I know about a computer could be covered by my hat. So yea, thanks and feel free to upsize any time.
    Thanks for the compliments everyone.
    It would appear to be the thumbnail that you are selecting after you upload the pictures. You should have a variety of code to choose from, one of which will be the thumbnail and another the full-size pic. Unless there's something weird going on....

Your front top bow looks short. Was it you I said that about before too? If not, you may not have noticed that. The top may flop around a lot more not being tight. Or am I just seeing things again?
    -- Tim Taylor

I had noticed that, it's about 4 inches shorter than the back. When I got these from ebay thats the way they came. I bought some similar sized pipe to add to it but after test fitting the top...it fit. So actually I'm just gonna let it be. The top seems to be tight enough so far.

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    You mean around the inside off the door?
    The pannel caulking goes between the pannel and the door. Kind of glues them together. Look around on a new car, it is everwhere.
    M715 W/W, M37

Some Fatmat or equivilant sound damping material on the fire wall, the doors, the floor and the back of the cab wall and some material (I prefer leather) on the doors, and a rubber mat or carpet on the floor and you'll be able to have a conversation and listen to toons.
    Zone holster maker

Man I just don't thinkl I can do the leather thing right now but I did call Mona for some matching canvas for cheap. Thanks for the thought tho'.

Joe how would you attatch the leather to the door panels? Pm me if you like. I'd like to know some things. How much, how easy or difficult and does it come in black.

I would have PM you fish, but the system say I can't. So you should get an e-mail. If you don't let me know.

FNG I was just saying I prefer leather, but vinyl will do also for the application I mentioned above. The big key to queting things down is to get some insulation and vibration dampening.

For everyone else to answer Fishermans question........

Putting leather or vinyl on a door pannel is simple. Use contact cement. Ruff up the surface of the pannel as in make it good and pourous like getting it ready for paint and apply contact cement to it. Then apply contact cement to the sueded side (rough side)of the leather (or non finished side of vinyl) and let the cement dry per instructions and then apply the material. You could use the spray on adheasive by 3M and others as that will work too. I use a contact cement that was designed for neopream(sp?) and therefor doesn't bond at instant on contact like Dap or the other construction type do. This way if I need to reposition the material I can pull it appart reset it etc. The glue bonds as it sets and the longer it is on the stronger the bond becomes.

Rounded corners are more difficult in that you have to put little triangled cut outs in the piece of material (leather/vinyl) that your are folding over so that it will make a smooth bend around the rounded corner.

If anyone wants their door pannels customized PM me and I'll walk you through it.
    Zone holster maker