Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much paint

Default How much paint

How much paint do you think I would need to paint my m715?
    I have it running and on the road now, would like to get red of the firehouse red paint job.

Not taking it apart?1 Gal. primer 1 Gal color. I used acrilic enamel. Others will be say Gillespie. Anyway dont bite off to much at a time. cab/bed/ painted seperate in other words.

I am not taking apart. Not a complete rebuild, truck is in reasonable shape, and to be honest I do not have the time or patience to completely redo truck.
    I want to drive it and have some fun.

I am planning on going with Gillispie / rapco / 34087 USMC Lusterless Forest Green, I bought a couple of spray cans to test a couple of colors.

I thought I would need more than a gallon?

1 Gal if you are just doing exterior of the truck. If you are going to do inside of the bed,frame, inside of cab etc then you may need to get 2 gals. Of course if you get 2 gals you'll have some left for touch up, painting the trailer that you'll find later, the deck chairs, the side of the barn, the wifes car.....you get the idea.
    Zone holster maker

One gallon will work if you are doing one coat. I believe that is not sufficient if you want a decent paint job buy two gallons and do two coats. Wait for an over night dry then second coat. I have painted two trucks now and this is my opinion. Good Luck

2052 is the USMC green number.

Agengr is painting his truck at my house. He bought 4 gallons. He has done both sides of the hood, both sides of the grill gaurd, inside the wheel wells on the front, inside the cab, door jambs, all around the doors, cab exterior, top bows, windshield frame and the frame underneath all the above. Basically, everything forward of the bed except for the engine and inside the engine bay.

He still might get one more mixed paint cup out of his first gallon. The bed, rear wheel wells, all 5 rims and a bunch of other little parts still need to be done. So, 2 gallons might get you through, but it will be close.

I used 4 gallons on the truck, rims, a 18' flat bed trailer, Z50 Honda and a huge pile of small parts. I was one or two paintings of small M35 parts before I had to open a 5th gallon.

Be carefull. You might find this is the perfect color to paint everything with like I did and use some on non truck related items.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Be carefull. You might find this is the perfect color to paint everything with like I did and use some on non truck related items.

That just called 'having a theme'.

It's amazing how matching paint will make things 'look' military....

For whatever its worth - I've got no experience painting M715 - BUT I just picked up my deuce from the paint shop, where 7 gallons of paint were put on - and every part of the truck was painted.

Hope this helps,
    David Doyle

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Of course if you get 2 gals you'll have some left for touch up, painting the trailer that you'll find later, the deck chairs, the side of the barn, the wifes car.....you get the idea.

Wife's car....hehehe

I keep joking that I am going to find a bus seat for the front porch, and park the currently inoperative M715 in the front yard with the engine half installed half apart. Maybe a 50's model Frigidare with some PBR on the porch too.....

Quote Originally Posted by stranman View Post
    I am planning on going with Gillispie / rapco / 34087 USMC Lusterless Forest Green,
    I think the 34087 is a early WWII green. 34079 is lusterless Forest green.

Just wondering which one you got the spray cans of?
    Zone holster maker