Thread: Stock wipers, keep 'em???

Default Stock wipers, keep 'em???

Just how bad are the stockers? I really like the look and would like to keep them (mine don't work as of right now). My fuel pump has been by-passed and an electric pump does that duty.
    If I fix the original fuel pump and all of the vac lines, how well will the wipers work? I live in Cali, but contrary to popular belief it does rain here (18-20 in p/yr), and I would like to take it up to the snow too.
    Grateful for the replies.
    Jeff

I plan on keeping mine. Ethan wrote up a blade swap at http://www.bigscaryjeep.com and in the open discussion archives there is a wipers link that has different blades people have found to fit our trucks.
    At low speed they conk out. I like using the handles. Some people have used a cadillac part to create a vacuum source if they lost it on their engine due to upgrades. Someone will pop in with that info. Some people have rebuilt theirs, as well, but I haven't have to do that yet- gonz
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun

I was interested in 100% reliability so I bit the bullet and installed the electric boat wipers. They are two speed and self parking, they installed in the original holes and used the original arms. Although they set me back about 120.00 plus my time to install them I'll never have to worry about them slowing down or stopping due to engine RPM.
    If you didn't know it you'd think they were stock by just looking at them. Plus if you take the originals and clean them up really good, shoot them with some rattle can OD, you can sell them on Ebay for about $35.00.
    White 433 came by last week and when we went for a demo ride I got to use them for the first time when a rain shower started (with no top installed naturaly). Wipers worked like a champ.
    Good luck with whatever route you choose but I'm glad I went with the Electric's.

I'm sure some of the guys have added a vacuum accumulator or tank, nothing more than a juice can that will hold vacuum for those times you press too hard on the go pedal, or one of the stock jeep black plastic balls can be installed. I don't know how well they work. I have just painted my original ones to install, and will be doing the storage tank.
    If anyone out there can chime in on the vacuum tank and how well it works that would be great. It would be nice to know before I mount mine, if it doesn't work that well,I will go with the electric ones.

I have had no proab w mine although they can be hard to locate the orignal blades they are not the same as m-37 as alot of vendors will try to tell you I know right now antelope valley equipt has nos ones at 10 ea. if you are going to keep them you should get a extra pair or two to keep for when they run out I have also seen them on e-bay sometimes. the motors can be rebuilt but i hadnt ever seen any kits for them but im sure if you ck in hemmings you can find vendors who rebuild vac wipers, if you needed im sure nos ones are still around anyway.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

The stockers aren't bad. (And note that this is coming from a guy who lives in western Washington state, where people don't tan, they rust!) I've never had mine conk out on me, but they do slow down at times. Mostly under acceleration, actually! But they work okay. About as well as you'd expect from any mid-60s truck anyway....
    -- Tim Taylor

It depends on how your pulling your vacuum. If your going off of manifold, then you'll see the wipers slow down or even stop because of loss of vacuum. Thats where the benefit of the vacuum can comes in, you can store some vacuum for later. I have the stock wipers hooked up to the stock vacuum pump on my 230. They don't slow down or even come close to stopping at any time, just as long as the engine is running.

I personally really like them. Here in OR, it rains ALOT, so I've used them quite a bit, and they work just fine. Plus, they aren't ever in time with each other. The only thing I sometimes wish I had was delay, for when its just drizzly.

I suppose if your stock wipers leaked and needed to be rebuilt, then it might be an option to just opt for the elec. ones. As for wipers, I just went down to NAPA one day and they had the correct wipers on the shelf. They are like a "classic" series, or something like that.

Funny story about the manual arms you can use to turn the wipers. One day, a friend of mine rode with me for the first time and it was raining. I told him, "Now the way these old things work is that the passenger needs to work both wipers by using these arms". So we set off driving and I had him going back and forth working both arms. Then I told him, "Oh yeah, you can also flip this switch here and a vacuum pump will run then...". Hehe, it was great.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkOutline View Post
    I live in Cali, but contrary to popular belief it does rain here (18-20 in p/yr), and I would like to take it up to the snow too.
    Grateful for the replies.
    Jeff
    When you measure rainfall in inches, it isn't very much....

What do we get out here on the peninsula, 67M715? About 47" or so? Man, 18-20 gets me thirsty just thinking about it....
    -- Tim Taylor

Default Wipers

When I was restoring Willys Wagon I found a small 12 volt or 6 volt plug-in air compressor works really well for stock wipers to avoid stalling problems associated with low vacuum. The Willys wiper motors worked extremely well with positive pressure. Make sure you install a pressure reducer such as a simple inline air valve to dial in your wipe speed.