Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another NP205 swap thread.....

Default Another NP205 swap thread.....

I just acquired an np205, on the cheap!!! ( as in free!!!)
    I have read through all of the other posts that I could find on the swap. the archived ones have no pics (or I can't see them).

Question...

Besides fabing mounting brackets, what else will I need to do?
    Those with pictures please send them.

Thanks Again,
    Jeff

Well besides having to fab the mounts you may want to add the e-brake that comes standard on your np200. You may also need to change all of your yokes to match the ujoint sizes on the driveshafts. Heres some pics of mounts and ebrake stuff I did.

Remember you can go as big and fancy as your budget will allow or you can keep it simple and sound, but either way will take a little elbow grease.

Well, I don't know what condition yours is in, but mine is getting atleast new seals.

Thanks FNG, nice pics too!
    That info is the stuff I am looking for.
    Anyone else?

chalk, don't mean to hi-jack, but FNG, where can I get parts for the parking break assembly for the NP200?

I would try Memphis Equipment first, depending on what all you need.
    Keep an eye on ebay too. I just type in m715 and see what comes up.
    There are others who have those parts too. Try doing a search on the Modified Tech for a list of vendors.

A NP205 swap can be broken down into several different areas:

Mounts

There are at least 2 different case designs of the 205 out there. Dodge/IH and the Chevy version. They have different mounting bolt locations. Many people have made this swap with each mount set up different. Each of us has pictures and probably thing our way is the best. The thing for you to remember is that a welder, some 1/4" plate and the ability to line up u-joint angles are all that is really important.

Yokes

As with the mounts, there are at least 2 versions of the output shafts. 10 or 31 spline. Chevy has the coarse ones that are the same as the stock NP200. Which means you can just swap out yokes and you are done. The Dodge/IH version has fine splines which theoretically are stronger. But, you will have to either buy 3 new yokes or buy conversion u-joints.

E-Brake

The stock NP200 emergency brake can be made to fit the NP205. You need the 200 rear output shaft seal retainer which also holds the e-brake. Take it and a 205 seal retainer to a machine shop. Tell them you need the 200 one to look like the 205 one. They might charge you $20 at the most.

Then you need to find a flange that will connect the brake drum/ output shaft and u-joint all together. Nobody really makes this part. But, several people have either made their own or combined parts from all kinds of different vehicles to make it work.

Another option is a disc e-brake. Hot rod cars have been doing this for years mounted to the rear axle pinion. Osut362 did a great post a week or so ago about how he adapted one of them to a 205.

Twin Stick

Since you have a 205, are you going to make it a twin stick 205? The process takes about 30 minutes with a grinder or you can spend the same 30 minutes with a $100 shift rail made for twin stick 205's.

Lots of individual choices in a 205 swap. Don't forget about a PTO too when you build your mount.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Very well put there! Organized well and strait forward. Being a bear of very little brain, I appreciate that. Thanks again!
    If anyone else would like to post pics of their mounts and ebrake set-up's That would rock.
    My 205 is off a Dodge (just FYI).
    Thanks Guys!
    Jeff

I am very slowly working out a mount kit for the Dodge version. If everything works out right, it will be two plates and two new holes drilled in the stock crossmember.

I currently have a NP200 on a crossmember on a bench with another NP200 crossmember next to it and a PTO wearing stock e-braked NP205 with the Dodge mounts sitting next to that. I am having my students clean, prime and then paint each part before we move onto the next step. They have already done the treatment to the stock cross member, NP205 and NP200. Once the extra stock crossmember gets cleaned and treated this week, we will start trying to figure out a way to suport the 205 while we take measurements for the two plates.

I will take lots of pictures and write all about it when done. I am optimistically thinking before Thanksgiving, but can't promise it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Sounds great, Nice job to have, free labor, tools right there, etc...
    I will wait with baited breath for the pictures.
    Jeff