Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another small block chevy question

Yup, a chevy bell is a chevy bell. There are some minor differances when you get into the modern stuff, but at 1986, I wouldn't worry.

Yep, a Chevy bell is a Chevy bell. If it is a Chevy, it will fit the engine.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

IIRC, the one difference is the large center hole for the tranny could be slightly different. I know the SM420 is smaller than the SM 465 for example. That would be the only thing to watch. If you have a matching bell and tranny, it'll bolt to your engine no sweat. If you're using an adapter, I think I recall you have to use the bell with the larger center hole.

Starter mounting location is something to watch for also. Some of the earlier starters mounted to the bellhousing and not the block.
    As for the Dist., unless you change the ignition module in the dist you cannot use that dist without the spark control unit. If you buy the module and harness (they list is as a capacitor assembly) the rest will work. Just get the stuff for a small block before 1980. In 1981 they added the computer to the carb engines.
    In 1987 they went to the 1 piece rear main seal and changed the block and crankshaft, all external parts will still bolt up though. Also in 1987 the intakes were changed to have "cantered" bolt holes on the center 4 bolts(2 on each side) on the intake. This means the older intakes and heads are not interchangeable. Older heads will bolt up the the 87' and up blocks but you will need the swap intakes also. (and vise versa)

Hope that helps.

RH
    67' M715

I started the engine in the garage the other day ,waiting on the adapter.
    It started right up by doing what swampthing said.
    I spliced the a and c wires together on the distributer.I couldnt rev it up to much but it seems like it will work with no problem.Thanks

That system still has a vacuum advance. It is the later small cap HEI's that won't run without a computer. trust me, I put 200k miles on one spliced that way.

Almost forgot, on an 86 you may have to use an older carb. While this truck is not completely closed loop, there is a plug on the carb. Not an issue on early 85 and back.

I plugged all vacuum lines off except the vacuum advance and the one that runs from the carb to the 4 barrel bellow that is mounted on the side of the carb.The choke worked ,fast idle worked and kick down to idle worked.I thank I am good to go.will find out as soon as the adapter gets here.

How about the exhaust.
    My plan is to run a single exhaust,nothing fancy.
    The question is,the stock chevy was 2 1/4" pipe.
    will 2" pipe be large enough for the 305 sbc.
    I want to cut the plates that bolt the stock pipes together off and use them to put the new system together so i dont have to make a lot of bends inthe same joint of pipe.If I can bolt them back together I won't have to weld on my back either.