Thread: Any Special tools needed...

Default Any Special tools needed...

Another newbe question...
    I need to give the rig a tune up, cap, rotor, condenser, plugs...
    Before I going tearing her down, I need to get the parts, but my real question is...
    Do I need any "special tools" to do the job?
    I see the spark plug wrench post, and I surely don't have one like that.
    If I do need any, where do I go about getting them?

Thanks again for all the wisdom you all have passed to me already.
    Jeff

Do you have the stock waterproof spark plugs? Mine were aftermarket plugs and wires, so I had no problem and used no special tools on it. Just a regular spark plug socket. Never did pop the distributor cap off yet. The thing runs like a sewing machine. I figure, if it don't stink, don't stir it, eh?
    -- Tim Taylor

You can "Get by" with a regular spark plug socket and open end wrenches. It isn't fun or fast, but you can do it if you think your way around some of the tough spots.

Your biggest headache is going to be when you try to set the timing with the stock shielded wires. A timing light won't work on them. Many people have done different things to get around that. The easiest in my opinion is to take a regular car spark plug wire. Cut a 6-10" piece out of the middle. Trim the insulation off so just the black core is sticking out 1/2" or so. Remove the #1 spark plug wire from the distributor cap. Stuff your civilian wire in the cap with the core folder over the side. Stuff the other end into the shielded wire connector the same way. Clamp your timing light lead onto this section of wire.

You will need a 12V source for your timing light. A spare battery or battery charger works just fine. Time it like any other engine and return the wires to stock locations when done.

The military had a special little tool box of adaptors for stuff like this and they are on E-bay just about daily if you want to spend the money to get the "right" tool. Otherwise, this will work in a pinch.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yolu can take a box end wrench and cut just enough out of the end of the wrench to fit over the shielded wire...this gives 12 points of grip for the ends of the wires as opposed to just 2 locations like an open end wrench. The mil wrench works with an end like that...

the special wrench for the wires you have seen are often on e-bay (franks surplus always has them) but not the only way to get the wires off as the others have explained I actually use a diesel fuel injector line wrench on mine but im a diesel tech so i already had one. i have never replaced my cap but had replaced points cond and rotor. the orignal military surplus caps are almost impossible to find now and the off shore repro ones are not as good i had heard so i just lightly clean off the cap terminals if they get any build-up.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate the help.
    Jeff