Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing adhesive

Default Removing adhesive

So I pressure washed the M-725 yesterday. When I got it, the two giant Red Cross decals on the sides were cracked into a million peices and dulled so bad you can barely see the red cross. I'll probably repaint the whole thing one of these days, but for right now I just wanted to clean it up a bit. So the pressure washer removed all of the decal, except that the adhesive is still on there. What can I use to try to remove this, but not hurt the paint? Is that possible? It still has a little bit of stickiness to it, I'm afraid it will collect dirt, and then I'll have a big brown square, lol.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Default Rub a Dub (UD40)

Ive used WD40. Spray and let sit for a couple minutes. Repeat this a few times. In 15 minutes the gum "hopefully" can be smeared pretty easy. It wont just lift off, youll have to work it off with a rag soaked with WD. Its work but it wont hurt the paint. If not I scrounge the house for chemicals and apply in order of strength. Lighter fluid then nail polish remover, etc. If no luck they make adhesive removers but some can pull paint. Test out of sight. Good luck, Jay

3M makes a adhesive remover just fr this. go to your local auto paint supply place, they got it. if you need the spcific # of it let me know and i,ll get it for you.
    bob

Sign shops carry that stuff too. Do yourself a favor and just bite the bullet on this one--that stuff is nasty.

There is a product that can be purchased at Homedesprate and Blows and local hardware stores that is called Goof Off. It is made for adheasive as well as latex paint etc. and wont hurt the paint.

Denatured Alcohol might work also, but it might dull the paint some too.
    Zone holster maker

I wouldn't use WD-40 period. You don't want to be spreading oil on something you will paint later. You will have problems with the new paint going over something that has oil on it, trust me. I would start with mineral spirits or paint thinner on a rag. Wipe gentle and watch to see if it works. You know you are using too strong of solvent when the paint start coming off on to your rag. If paint thinner doesn't work, lacquer thinner will, but it will almost for sure soften and remove the paint. Paint thinner would be my recommendation for a first try.

Get some decal remover (several types out there, I use one called "decal off") and a plastic mixing paddle. Spray the remover and let sit a bit then scrape it into piles with the paddle. It will be a messy job and be prepaired for it to take quite some time to get it al done.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    1968 M51 Inflatable Chemical Shelter System http://www.davidallenracing.com/M51.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

Oh, you guys take all the fun out of it . Yeah like anything else there is a specific product made for just about anything you want to do, -right tool for the right job, and I am a firm believer and try not to stray too far from the saying, but WD aint so bad and most of us have it at home already. Dont get me wrong, I think the stuff sucks as a penetrant / lubricant but its not too shabby for cleaning and isnt aggressive toward paint. It even says on the side of the can that it will remove Tar, Adhesive, Gum, Tape, etc. but then again it says that its a Penetrant too .
    Does any body know what the stuff is actually made from? I have read and heard multiple times that its base is fish oil. Any truth?
    What ever you end up using make sure it dosnt evaporate quickly as keeping it "wet" is the key to keeping the gum moving.
    Good luck, Jay

Brandon, go to a hardware store and find a little yellow bottle called "Goo Gone".
    It's lemon fresh and will even attract hot looking women who really like military trucks.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Scrap everything I previously said, screw WD40, Im going for the Goo Gone. Hot women here I come, WAHOO!