Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front axle shafts grease.....

Default front axle shafts grease.....

I, am doing a complete front end rebuild along with re-ring & pinion ( 4.56 )swap and power lock install. my question is ( dog ate my old manuels---lol ) how much grease does the manuel say to put in front knuckles where u-joint is on axle shafts. been about 5 years since i did one. sure wish the u-joint had a grease zerk also. i know how much lube goes in for the ring & pinion gears and the additive for posi.
    thanks for helping me
    bob

look no caps lol

There is a plug on the side of the knuckle. I just removed as much of the old dried out grease as possible crammed a lot of fresh grease in the knuckle. Can you put in too much grease?

All I can find in the manual for "Front axle universal joint" is level with fill hole. Nothing under capacities, front diff is 6 pints. Thats all I can find.

The lube order and manuals do not specify a fill quantity, just to the fill hole opening...right on DaveJ!

thanks guys, guess i,ll pack it about half way up with amsoil h/d synthetic grease. its dissmantled so it wont be too bad of a job i recon !!!!
    bob

This gets into the "Knuckle Pudding" arguement.

Some people leave it dry of grease, put it all together and fill the knuckle up to the fill hole with gear oil.

Others pack that area so full of grease the spindle doesn't want to go back on.

Still others have packed it full of grease, put it all together and then added gear oil up to the level of the fill hole. That is what makes Knuckle Pudding. the mix of grease and gear oil looks just like pudding after being mixed real well by a drive around the block.

The lube order in the online manuals calls for grease only.

I have a spare axle that a former member grafted grease Zerk fittings onto the knuckle fill plugs. That allowed him to really pack the grease in. So much so that some of it was forced past the seals all the way into the differential housing.

Basically, grease is the recommended lubricant. But, just about any combination from 100% grease to 100% gear oil will work. But, 100% gear oil will seep out the felt wiper if it isn't in good shape.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

thanks tim good info as useual. i,am gonna fill 1/2 way with just grease.
    bob

Blog Entries

I use cornhead grease, just like in my winch!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I'd say enough grease to service everything, but not so much that when it heats up and possibly expands, it forces itself past the seals. I always figure though, that after the axle turns a few times and pushes the grease out of the way, unless it gets hot enough to soften the grease again, its not really getting where it needs to be....just a thought.

When we used to rebuild manual steering boxes (way back when) we never refilled them with oil, but packed them with grease (white lube was my favorite) and they didn't leak and lasted longer and felt smoother too.

The manual for the M38 calls for gear lube, FWIW.