Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: foodstamp's incredible, never-ending multi-topic thread

Yeah, I've seen those vids, there pretty cool.

I've talked with the guy who has that '64 Chev. You do realize he is only running a 3-53, right? Even then, he said it was a snug fit. I have access to both a 3 and 4-53, I've seen them and use both of them. They are monster engines, incredibly tall and exeptionally long for only a 3 and 4 cylinder engine. I think they are about the same size as that 71 series you got. While they are noise makers, your talking some serious coin to coax some power outta them. Even simple replacement parts are hard to come by and super spendy. I knew someone who had a 4-53 rebuilt. Ask him how he liked dropping $1200 cause the head on his was cracked. Shoot, the newer diesels you just gotta plug something into them for more power, and you can get parts at NAPA.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by vrod02 View Post
    Or wheelin. I've yet seen a dodge,chevy, or ford with a diesel worth a blank in the mud, they sink. Same thing would apply to a 715. Highway pullin I get.
    Gotta agree with you there Vrod. We tried wheelin a friend's Cummins/Dodge and on any soft ground and it sunk, quickly! This was one of the older early Dodge trucks too. At 1200+ lbs, that's a lot of excess weight to extract from a mudhole. It did have the advantage of tons of pulling power though, so it was a great extraction vehicle for others. It also was right at home with a huge trailer loaded to the gills on the road.

Be sure to factor that extra weight into your winch capacity too!

I don't know guys. I drove Oilcan's 6.2 715 at Wheeling in the country. I liked it ALOT. Most things it could just idle up and on the rock ledges it just took a blip of the go pedal and it went! I almost didn't put in the BBC I already have scheduled. I can understand when you wheel a truck made to pull stuff it might give you a bad taste for diesel motors, but a diesel in our trucks, made to play off road from the get go, me likey!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

ok...can you guys line up vids of some good sounding 6.2's

every one is saying their under powered and heavy...my 4 71 weighed a ton....litterally.....and the only reason i want one is becouse they sound awsome.

but you guys kinda have me balincing on a tight rope...
    my signature is sweet huh?

You should try typing in "6.2 diesel" into youtube, you might find some vids...

Seriously though, I think you should develop a list of reasons why you want to go ahead with a diesel engine swap. If all you can think of is "they sound good", then I'm not sure what to tell you except to do some research for yourself online and in magazines. Yup, those won't tell you how well it sounds, they'll tell you factual information like HP and TQ values, and how easy/hard it is to get aftermarket and replacement parts for various engines.

I think you've already stated why that 471 won't work. There shouldn't be anything more on the fence about it. You got the wrong Detroit, if you want to try again find yourself a 53 series, and if you do, take some measurements before you buy it. I'm telling you, I've already taken measurements of a 3 and 4-53 and tried to imagine it in my 715 and it ain't happening too well.

So with that said, choices are simple, especially since you already said you found a 6.2, right?
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I agree with RPG. It doesn't take alot to adjust the sound of an exhaust, heck I have heard the 6 cyl jeep motors sound good. Personally once the BBC goes in, I will be looking for the quietest exhaust I can find. Too much resonant metal in these trucks. If you HAVE to find a good sounding exhaust, check the videos at steelsoldiers. there was a good sounding one at Haspin this year. The 6.2 is a good motor in these trucks and if you get the(air) intake high enough you don't have anything to worry about when fording. Thats my .02!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

ok.....a 6.2 sounds alright...

ya, i like the torque that diesels have. i was just saying that i didnt want a 6.2 becouse i think the the only ones ive hered sounded kinda crappy. but ill see if i can find a better vid....ive been checking out youtube but most of those are stock, at leased when i last looked, but ill check it out again...well, thanks guys, tomarrow im going to my buddys house, and go to his farm, and thats who owns the other 6.2, so ill try and make a deal
    my signature is sweet huh?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    I agree with RPG. It doesn't take alot to adjust the sound of an exhaust, heck I have heard the 6 cyl jeep motors sound good. Personally once the BBC goes in, I will be looking for the quietest exhaust I can find. Too much resonant metal in these trucks. If you HAVE to find a good sounding exhaust, check the videos at steelsoldiers. there was a good sounding one at Haspin this year. The 6.2 is a good motor in these trucks and if you get the(air) intake high enough you don't have anything to worry about when fording. Thats my .02!
    As a fellow who has spent a number of years around open-header rigs, drag-pipe harleys and other noisy machinery, I have but two things to say:

1) My hearing is more rapidly diminishing.

2) Noise never made any difference in performance on any of my stuff.

That said, go with what you like, but at a young age, I know impressing others may seem more important. It won't matter in about 5 more years. Loud exhaust tends to fall pretty low on the scale of importance anyway when you are 70 miles from the trailhead wheeling the rocks.

I'll admit to being old now and that the LOUD exhaust I reveled in at 16 doesn't hold the same appeal but...
    You HAVE to have a nice deep rumble at idle and a healthy tone when the RPM's come up.