Thread: Hello and a few questions.....

Default Hello and a few questions.....

Hi the name is Mike and I may have a chance to trade my YJ for a M715. I was wonding what is the top speed for a stock 230 Tornado engine but not sure of the gears? What kind/size tires can you put on these and what rim size and how many lugs? How do these things ride stock? Fun to drive? How does everybody like them? Sorry but don't want to make the wrong choice. I also might be able to trade my YJ for a J10 4X4 lifted etc.. TIA Mike

Welcome Mike.

The simple answer is this. The M715 in top mechanical form will seem slow, heavy, big, under powered, rough riding, gas hungry and a few other things compared to your YJ. But, in its element (5-50 mph on dirt with a bunch of heavy stuff in the back) you will not find a better vehicle.

Modifications are basically easy. But, not much besides the hood and a few cab parts are available. Everything else needs to be found or made. The engine is good when running. When not running, it will be cheaper to install a V8/OD transmission than going through a rebuild.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The top speed that you could continuiosly operate at is 55 the engine governor is at 60 but it wouldnt be good to go that fast in it. they have a 6 lug wheel and aftermarket wheels are avialable. It is a special purpose vehicle built for all terrain use by the army as designed based on 1960's tech, a very spartan cab - slightly uncomfortable seats, manual steering, manual brakes, hand choke no heater unless one was added, not even sun visors. but it can be a fun vehicle to drive short distances and have for shows etc. it is by no means a good daily driver for all use to most people. Alot of people still like that heavy duty military look and off raod operation and will modify the truck w/ new engine, changing the axle gearing, adding power steering p/brakes etc. But this takes alot of time and additional expense and if you want a daily driver you can just hop in and go a stock 715 isnt it.

Well Mike, it is a 'truck', and it acts like a truck. It is great for what it was built for, and that ain't the highway. Cross country, heavy load, ok. Around base,ok. MPG sucks. I wouldn't trade mine for anything! I hope you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JEEPDAD56 View Post
    Hi the name is Mike and I may have a chance to trade my YJ for a M715. I was wonding what is the top speed for a stock 230 Tornado engine but not sure of the gears?
    While you can make 60, you'll cook the transfer case. Best to consider it a 50mph vehicle. Maybe 55.

What kind/size tires can you put on these and what rim size and how many lugs?
    They're 16" rims (split rims, so few tire shops will work with them) with an odd-ball 6 on 7-1/4" lug pattern that is pretty much unique to the M715. The aftermarket rims mentioned are spendy custom-made rims.

Stock tires are 9.00 x 16 (about 34" tall), but many of us put a set of Michelin XLs or XZLs (11.00 x 16) that are 38-1/2" tall and really look good on these trucks. They're radials too.

How do these things ride stock? Fun to drive?
    They're rough, but really a hoot to drive. I took my son to a Cub Scout meeting in it last night. Have the top off and only the windshield up. The drive home was getting dark, temp in the upper 60s, so it was cool and comfortable. Drove 40mph roads and had an absolute blast on the way home. But as others have said, these trucks wouldn't make very good daily drivers. They're rough, as I say.

How does everybody like them? Sorry but don't want to make the wrong choice. I also might be able to trade my YJ for a J10 4X4 lifted etc.. TIA Mike
    I'd ask what you would intend to do with it if you got it. Your only vehicle or just a fun one? The vehicle's mission will determine whether you're happy or miserable with the choice!

Welcome aboard either way!
    -- Tim Taylor

Binford is correct on every point.

I would like to add a little detail. My truck has a Chevy 350, power steering, power brakes on completely rebuilt brake system. It is a joy to drive. I use it around town, to work and just to play. The modern modifications to the powertrain make driving an otherwise old truck almost effortless.

I do not need it for basic transportation. If I had to use it for anything other than a toy, it might me a chore. If you have the luxury to have it for fun, get it! If your looking for transportation you will be disappointed.
    M715 W/W, M37

There split "rings" not split rims. I take mine anywhere a bronco full size goes.

Actually the correct term is "lock ring wheels". It is specifically a "Goodyear, Light Truck Safety" design wheel. It's actually quite a bit different (more robust) than the common split-rim wheel.

And quite safe, as "split rims" go too.
    -- Tim Taylor