Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My trip to the DMV today.

Default My trip to the DMV today.

I got the truck far enough along to finally take it down to the DMV for tags title and registration. Fearing the worst I brought all my required paperwork, copies of same and alot of cash. (who says bribary doesn't work anymore)
    Anyway, I took my number and sat waiting quietly for them to call me. In the meantime I couldn't help but notice one customer and agent having a loud and heated debate about his wanting to tag a hot rod under construction. She was giving him alot of static because his vehicle was not currently "road worthy". So I thought this was really wierd because Arkansas has no obligatory State Inspection requirements (this woman was obviously one of those really self important gubmint functionary types).
    Anyway my truck will roll under it's own steam but isn't complete by a longshot so .......I'm hoping I don't get her, when the guy blows out of the place in a real huff, leaving miss personality "open". She goes over to the numbers tag board and calls my number! Crap, Dangit, Nuts!
    So I kinda sheepisly approach and slide the paperwork across the counter to her and she snaps "So you want tags and a title too?" I quietly answer "yes I would" and I don't know what possesed me but then I blurted out "did I catch you at a bad time?"....Man I thought 3 of her co-workers were gonna bust a gut laughing so hard. The whole place erupted in laughter and snickers. She took a deep breath, asked for my proof of insurance and said "that'll be $27.89 please". Boy, I whipped out my wallet and paid in cash right there. A couple of minutes later she handed me my tags and I was vapor. Guess I just got lucky today, maybe I should go buy some lottery tickets.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Great story! I usually dread trips to the DMV, and I've done it so many times here in VA. Some days you get the really helpful person, others, they put up every roadblock there is.

When I did my title for the M715, I used a title service, then transferred it into my name at my local DMV without a question. A few weeks later, I tranferred a clear, signed motorcycle title into my name just to sell it, and got the third degree. Go figure.....

Well I'm glad that went smooth for you.
    I haven't had any luck registering mine. I've taken my paperwork to 2 license offices and made many a call to Jefferson City. I even had a backroom audience with Jabba the Clerk that didn't help. My problem is that the state auctioned it as "Used metal previously as Jeep brush truck - NO TITLE" I bought it from the guy who won that auction and also sold it as no title.
    The state says "the state can do that but not and individual - have a lawyer get a declaratory judgement issued." I haven't gone down that road yet.

Have you tried the service listed in the back of Military Vehicles magazine?
    Broadway Title Co., call 24 hours, 1-800-464-3222, www.broadwaytitle.com, says they guarantee service in 24 hours...might be worth a shot. Who cares if it's a "gray area" title as long as it get's you a real title in your home state. I guess this is one of those "the ends justify the means" things. Hope it helps.

I aquired my truck back in 93 I got it from the MD. forestry dept where it had been sent after its military service, they only used it for a parts source so it was sold w/o having ever being registered anywhere. I lived in VA. and back then i think it was New Hampshire? was the last state that still didnt use vehicle titles just a simple registration card an tags, so I used a service there that bought your vehicle and sold it back to you w/ valid registration which served as a title in that state took it to Va dmv and that was it (and i got to use the orignal vin). But another time I had a cucv I had aquired w/ a title and in the vin number on those there is a single character that defines it as a military contract vehicle and that character wasnt in the dmv's list of valid vin numbers for a chevy truck-I didnt think they would ever let me title it it took alot of work and a couple different clerks to get it .

Well please let me in on this, true story. Went to DMV here in Md. got truck in my name, tags, reg, the hole nine yards, good to go! 4 years later I have to renew the tags, go into DMV, with the renewal notice and the computer says no such animal. Well that's impossible cause you guys iissued me the tags. They tell me to hang on a min, come back with State Trooper, who wants to know WHERE I got the tags? They take me into a back room, tell me to have a seat, while they look into it farther. They FOUND my stuff, still paper cliped in a DMV's box after 4 years. It had NEVER been processed, my title number went to the city of Baltimore on a Ford pu. They did get it stright but only after I had to sit in a back room ALL day. As I said this is a true story. I 'm glad it went so smooth. Sorry this is so long, just to short way to tell what happened.

Wow, what a story. I'm highly intolerant of that kind of inadequate service from any form of gubmint agency. My patiece meter would've pegged about 4 seconds after the trooper told me to have a seat. My wife is always telling me to chill out whenever that kind of thing happens. You are obviously a very patient man.

I too spent a few hours at DMV today. It went ok. My rig needs a set of tires to be road worthy. It's in dire need of tune up too, but that's another story. I Recently bought the truck in Arizona and had it shipped into Northern California. I bought it for $2800, so I had to pay tax on that, then I had to pay for the registration, & new plates (firefighter ones). I'm out $350, I still need to get it weighed and then drive (or tow) it to the DMV office for them to visually validate it's "VIN" with the title from Arizona. Lot's of hoops but the worker was mostly helpful and polite, so I am not complaining this time.

It might help to locate (i.e., clean up and make more visible) the serial number stamped on the frame rail so when they give you grief about the only VIN being on a removable plate, you'll have an answer for them.

...Provided the number matches that on the data plate!
    -- Tim Taylor

State of Arizona says the Kaiser Willys VIN on my CJ matches an AMC Pacer or somthing stupid like that.
    Amatuer Dismantler