Thread: Water Pump Gasket

Default Water Pump Gasket

The water pump on Agengr's 230 was leaking and wobbled a bunch. We pulled it off last weekend. He has another one, but I don't think there is a good gasket to go along with the new pump.

I was just going to use silicone and bolt it up. Then I started thinking about the very tight clearance between the impellor and the timing cover.

Anybody done the water pump install without a gasket?

I figure we better be safe and make up a gasket unless somebody speaks up.

Thanks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I have a spare gasket.

Thanks for the offer. I haven't talked to him yet to see if one is even needed. I'm just trying to think it through before hand.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

A new gasket is needed.
    It's no little problem.

yea thats a high pressure area and if you arent sure about clearance i wouldnt take the chance a gasket is a cheap sure bet although you might have to wait to get one sent

i made mine... used 3M77 spray adhesive to some gasket material stuck on the pump then tapped it out with a ball peen hammer

I made a gasket with a ball peen hammer and we installed the pump. Along with everything that goes with it. Added coolant to discover the pump leaked out the seep hole with a vengance.

Off comes that pump. I had another spare engine here. We pulled that pump which was really full of crud. Cleaned it up and used the still good gasket from the spare engine to install the 2nd pump of the day.

It dripped a few times from the seep hole as well, but we fired the engine up for a few seconds to see if the dried out seal would swell. It did and stopped leaking. It now holds fluid and pressure when applied with a pressure tester.

Thanks for the help everybody.

For what its worth, I used the paper gasket that came with mine from Memphis, but I just used sealer the first two times when I was trying to get a used pump to work. No leaks (from the gasket surface) either way.