I got this from another board. I figured I'd post it here so nobody dies a firey death. The pics didn't transfer, you can see them @ steelsoldiers.

This is some serious stuff folks. While I recognize there may be a more appropriate single forum to address this topic, I also recognize most of us tend to visit only the forums pertinent to the vehicle we own (Deuce, 5 ton, CUCV, et. al.) and do not often visit the more general forums. Therefore with the implied consent of the forum moderators, I will post this message in all of the vehicle specific forums.

Let me begin by admitting I frequent purchaser of Harbor Freight products. While HF products are most always less expensive than competitive products, when you pay less for an item you can be sure you are also giving something up - in quality, performance, durability or a combination of the preceding. I expect this up front and accept that fact when I purchase "bargain priced" goods.

However, where is comes to safety, there should be no compromises. The following text and pictures are from a General Motors Service and Parts Operations internal memo. Due to the sensitive nature of this memo, I have not included the names of the persons distributing the document.

The gist of the memo is that GMSPO has investigated at least two cases of vehicles with "extensive wiring harness damage" (read as "wiring harness fires") caused by aftermarket fuses which did not blow (i.e., open to protect the harness in a current overload condition). Read the memo and reach your own conclusions. Pay particular attention to the second photo. It is a sample fuse which was directly shorted across a battery. The fuse overloaded to the point that the plastic body was melted and deformed, but the fuse did not blow!

Again, my intent here is NOT to trash Harbor Freight, but to make you aware of a potentially very serious safety issue. Caveat Emptor! And, BTW, I will also forward this information to HF.

Quoted message is as follows:

"We have now had two vehicles come into our department with extensive wiring harness damage. Both of these vehicles had a replacement 15 amp fuse instead of the GM fuse. The fuse does NOT “pop” causing the wiring harness to catch fire. The fuse has a clear, hard plastic blue body with the amperage stamped into the top there is no white paint on the fuse. There are no identifying marks on the fuse to tell who is making it. The fuse is distributed by Harbor Freight, I attached a picture of the box of fuses. Your dealers should look out to make sure that suspect wiring problems are not caused by these defective aftermarket fuses. The 15 amp fuse on this particular truck did not “pop” even at 50 amps. The fuse in the second picture still tests “good” even after a direct short across the battery. We tested six of these fuses and none of them pop."