Thread: Greasing Spring Hangers

Default Greasing Spring Hangers

The upper and lower fittings on the rear back spring hangers will not take grease on my M715. I installed new zerks.

Any other suggestions or am I SOL.

I really haven't thought it through. I just asking for the heck of it as I tried to lube them the other day when I reinstalled the battery box into the cab from the bed.

Every year I like to do at least one project.

often as the bushings wear small bits of the bushing material gather up an can clog the end of the grease hole along w old dried grease, also when the truck is on the ground the spring is up against the bushing where the grease hole is, lifting the truck so as to take the weight off the spring can allow grease to get in sometimes.

some have (CAREFULLY) used a torch to cook out the old stuff, but I'd have an extinguisher handy.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Your probably going to have to take the spring pack off of the hangers. When I took my spring packs apart, I was able to push some grease into the greasable bolt and hanger, and out came a pellet of hardened old grease. There's no way that would have extruded out while the spring bushing was on the bolt. I cleaned all the grease passages this way, and now I can grease those bushings just fine.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Had that problem on all the spring zerks when I first got the truck . I removed the zerks , cleaned out the hole , sprayed penetrating lube in , let it sit then shot some grease in . Some of the fittings took a few times to get grease to pass through . Maybe I was just lucky , but I did not take anything apart .

Forgot to mention , I used a air operated grease gun and cranked up the pressure .

I've used the "slow heat" method with success. Hand held propane torch...one person holding it, the other keeping pressure pumped up on the grease gun.

Fire extinguisher for certain and wear safety glasses. Better yet, wear a full face shield as sometimes when the grease finally goes, it spits out every where. Can easily hit you in the face/ hands etc. Gloves too.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Sometimes you have better luck to take the fitting out and the end off the grease gun and thread the hose directly into the fitting hole. If the grease gun or the fitting have much wear when you really get after it the fitting will pop off and you'll get grease everywhere.
    I made a tool for uncloging grease fittings on heavy equipment that works really well. I took a small hyd. cylinder (about 1 1/2" dia. X 8" long), I pack grease on one side of the piston with a grease gun, run a hose from that end to the fitting, then I hook a porta-power up to the other end and pump it up. The porta-power will build up to 10,000PSI and push the piston out forcing the grease into the fitting. If you can it's better to hard pipe the cyl. to the bushing because the hose is the weak link in this operation. A standard grease gun hose will blow if you really get after it. I've blown several.