Thread: pto shaft, piece or one?

Default pto shaft, piece or one?

does the pto shaft to the winch have to be two peice to clear something? or can it be one piece. I remember reading a post a while back about someone looking for a shaft, and someone said just go get one made. so am wondering if a one piece can be done?

Thanks
    \
    Duane

Stock is a two piece design if I remember correct. It has a bearing support that bolts in under the alt.

the org is two piece , some of of them are one piece since the distance between the trans pto an winch never changes,however w/o a slip yoke they have to be made to exact size to fit properly.
    Last edited by george walker; July 26th, 2007 at 07:20 PM.

Without looking I don't think it will clear the frame if one piece.

i meant to say in other vehs are one peice

The shaft leaves the drivers side PTO with a u-joint connection and goes basically level to the front engine mount. It goes into a pillow block, has a u-joint and then the next section of the shaft goes toward the winch, where another u-joint is used to connect to the winch with the shear pin yoke.

So, 3 u-joints, 2 sections of the shaft, pillow block or carrier bearing and a different end at each destination. Several set screws are used to hold some of the parts together.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I took pic's of my pto so here they are

As you can see, i don't have the shaft going from the winch to the yoke before the first mounting plate, but that should help you a lot

It looks as if a one piece will work, I'll look closer.

I know when I built my shaft I put too much angle on the U joint and get some knock out of it. Idle speed is ok but with RPM it will knock.

I was wondering that as well yesterday when i was taking the pic's, i could get almost a clear shot to the winch, but the bracket was in the way.
    also after thinking about it, with everything else chopped up, that front shaft maybe cut in half, will go take a look after while.