Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Necessity...The Mother of all inventions..

Default Necessity...The Mother of all inventions..

Well...i am an avid visitor of this site. I myself own a 68 m715. Well i am prior Marine Corps and currently work in Iraq. I currently need a trailer to pull on the vehicle i use here. Sooo... I found what i beleive is a old 101?? 5 lug 9.00x16. Anyhow, with 1 blown tire and no tube to fix it. I found some good HMMWV rims and tourched out the centers. I did the same to the spilt rims and welded the 5 lug centers in the HMMWV rim. and ta da!!!! I now have an unlimited supply of tires and there are easy to change out here with a limited amount of tools.. Can't work on the 715 any so i gotta tinker with something.

The Trailer

The Rim

The HMMWV Rims

The Finished Product

My 715

Hopefully i got it right...
    Last edited by kaiser715; July 25th, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fixed link for ya

That's great work there Marine... Adapt. Overcome.

I think it's a sorry state that we can send people half way around the world, but no freakin' trailer wheels to support them. Here's hoping we can get you folks some better support.

That looks fantastic! Careful, you might have a bunch of zone members hiring you to do some for them.

Watch your 6 over there!
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

It's easy to get HMMWV rims but spilt rims, forget about it. And with limited tools they are not worth messing with. I wish i could stay home long enough to do work on my own stuff!!

That looks great! It also gets my gears in my head turning, I have some H-1 rims and some spare M-715 rims.
    I thought that all the trailers of that size were switched over to the 8x6.5 lug pattern? I have even seen some of the 8 lug hit the auction block at GL.

Oh! ditto on keepin your head down over there so you can come back and work on your M-715.
    Semper FI

well i beleive the M101 trailers were switched over to 8 lug. But the M105's (the ones they pull behind MTVR's and MTR's) are actually still the big 6 lug.

i will post the finished project in the morning
    Last edited by gun512; July 24th, 2007 at 10:05 AM.

Here it is....

How did you make sure that the hub was centered? And by your post I take it you are no longer in the Marines so therefor are you a contractor over there?
    Zone holster maker

I made a template out of wood to mark for the cut-out of the split rim and used that same template to mark and cut out the hmmwv rim. Limited on supply out here. I basically marked everything with soap stone and then came back and measured from the marking to the edge of the rim. I then tacked some 2x2 steel to the front (or outer edge) of the hmmwv rim. Flipped the rim over, set the cut out of the split rim inside the rim (resting on the 2x2 steel) and started tacking and welding it up. Kind of winged it. It dosen't seem to have any wobble, but it will only see around 30mph on camp. And yes i am a contractor....