Thread: rebuild or swap 230 eng

Default rebuild or swap 230 eng

are there any good 230 tornado engs for sale. are they worth rebuilding.is the swap to a 350 costly for the adaptors. thanks.

first off - welcome to the madness.

This conversation is repeated on a frequent basis, as new members pop up on the board. I'm sure if you do a search, you'll find several threads about it.

However, in the interested of cutting to the chase, here's my thoughts:

Not worth the $$$ rebuilding the 230 UNLESS you're sticking all stock and going for show. Several guys have disposed of 230s that still run and that still happens from time to time. Some guys sell running 230s cheap when they repower.

Chevy 350 repower - did this myself as my 725 arrived without a motor. I used the Advance adapters kit, but bought it from another 'zoner who had pulled it from his truck.

What I would do differently - I would use a chevy tranny (sm465 or similar) to go with the chevy motor. makes things MUCH simpler. If you get a 2wd tranny, you just need to do mounts and the jackshaft. If you get a 4wd donor, consider moving the whole motor/tranny/xfer combo from the old truck. Then, it's mounts and driveshafts to change.

My next truck build will be a fuel-injected 350 with a 700r4 auto behind it. Reasons being 1) want the fuel-injection for off-camber/altitude/driveability improvements, 2) knee issues are starting to make shifting undesireable (could just be plain laziness), and 3) want the overdrive in the 700 for added highway driveability.

Hope this info helps - there's not really a "right" way to do your truck, as it's YOUR truck.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Ditto Compexp.......

The 230 is quite expensive to rebuild and unless going to stock resto, I wouldn't dump the $$$ into it either. Besides if you plan on doing any serious wheeling, SB Chevy parts are much more readily available.

Its all personal preference though, and in my experience, I've had luck with things others haven't and vice versa. Just build it like you want it to be and that's all that matters!

i agree if you are using the truck for rec. off roading and highway driving alot then you will want to just swap it out, however i have a friend who used all late model jeep truck stuff for his conversion an AMC 360 late model J truck core support and rad, new gearing it all went very easy just had to find a paticular input shaft to use in the tranny.Sometimes the jeep trucks are harder to find for doner parts though. He put a holmes 440 wrecker on his and uses it to tow it has served him well for at least 10 yrs now. If however you want to keep an orignal engine it has become very expensive to rebuild any engine as labor costs related to machine shop work and even the parts as well has meant engine rebuilding isnt a cheap fix anymore

Dump the 230 engine and swap a 350 engine. I put a 350 in mine with an adaptor to the T98 that I got free. I kept the T98 because it has a PTO winch and I did not want to deal with finding a PTO 465. I would not have any reservations getting rid of the entire drive train and look for a SBC350, transmission and transfer case combo. I have seen numerous acceptable combinations on Craigslist.

When you add up the benefits of a modern engine with power steering and power brakes, the M715 is a very fun truck to drive. I really enjoy using it around town. I compare it with my M37 which is all stock, and the modified M715 beats it hands down.

Lastly, there is a really convenience with the SBC 350 swap. if something needs replacing or repair, ANY parts store has the part on the shelf cheap. After a while, cheap and easy equal fun.
    M715 W/W, M37

I never even tried the the 230 in mine even tho the PO said it would. I was lucky and was given a wrecked 'burban with a TbI 350 and 4L80E. It may take some time to get all the other power features swapped in.

I'm in the process of replacing my 230 and T98 with a 350 sbc and 700R4 for the same reasons as compex. I have the original running 230 and transmission if you are interested. The engine has a rebuild tag on it dated somewhere around 1972.

If I were you I'd follow the advice these guys are giving and find a engine/tranny/transfer case that is already put together (and affordable). Then you'll be up and running in no time...theoretically.

I HAVE A N.O.S 230 engine also a chevy adapter for sale.
    bob

I do agree with swapping the engine for something modern with local parts availability, Beyond motor mounts and a jack shaft you're going to have to be able to fab clutch linkage, throttle linkage and some other odds and ends...bigger radiator etc.

Bob, I'm most certain that when Junkyard decides what he wants to do, he can find the for sale and wanted sections on the site. Please keep your business related post there or in PMs. Thanks.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.