Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tires - Tubes & Flaps

Default New tires - Tubes & Flaps

Well, I got 4-11.00 16 Michelin XL's and I have a few questions. I am sure most will say, new tubes & flaps SOP. Any one used the old ones? Any one totaly against using the old ones? Should I just ask the tire shop for a source for new tubes? Are tubes with the metal valve stems tough to find? Just wondering what all I am getting in to. The old tires were 9.00-16's, 11.00-16's are not that much bigger. Too much more expansion to use the old tubes? Thanks in advance for the help!

I reused my flaps but got new tubes.

The stock NDT's are bias ply tires. Your new tires are radials. Different requirements for the tubes. Plus, the Michelins have a lot more space to fill. Get new tubes. I reused my flaps as well.

Go to this web site, call the phone number and ask for Rusty. Tell him we went you and what you are doing. He knows all about us.

http://www.innertubes.net/catalog/
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

NEW TUBES, flaps can reuse just make sure thay are clean.

I have no experience with split rims and have not done anything with the tire on my trucks yet, what is a flap?

Just like the tubes, flaps are radial specific also. Obviously many people have had good luck using their old bias ply flaps but the proper flaps are out there.

Flaps are a rubber "thingy" that wraps around the OD of the wheel. In use it keeps the tube from riding directly on the wheel.

Chris

I knew some one would be able to help me out. I will give Rusty a call and see what we can do about some new tubes. Thanks so much!

I picked up a new tube for the duece yesterday for my one leaker. The guys including the owner said you can use radial tubes in a biased ply tire but you cannot use a biased tube in a radial tire. Just thought I would add that little golden nugget.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Why not pliobond a patch?

The truck shop told me the difference in the tubes is WHERE the stem comes out. That's why they say to use a radial tube. Just make sure you clean your rims when they are apart, I didn't and little bits of rust got between the tire and tube and put holes into the tube. Also, I reused my old liners without any problems.