Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator for V8?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Radiator for V8?

I am amassing my parts pile for the BB Chevy swap in my M, and wondered from those who have done the same:

What radiator did you use? I am looking at the Jeep CJ V8 conversion radiator in aluminum, as it has the correct dimensions, but is it adequate? Its a two row aluminum.

All my old Big Block Chevys in the past used 4 row radiators, but they were also conventional brass/copper, so the heat dissapation is different.

I plan to keep an engine driven fan and most likely a shroud.

The size of the opening in the front of the truck is limited, so the choices for a radiator seem to be as well.

Here are the two easy choices.

1967 Chevelle 396 radiator. A little bit of work on the radiator with a grinder and it will bolt in after about 30 minutes. Several members have done this. Rich, Compex being one that is here just about around the clock to tell you more if you need it.

I used a Summit aluminum cross flow 2 core. It requires you to cut the passenger side cowl support off, move it over an inch or so to the unused bolt hole you see if you look down there right now, cutting off the excess metal and welding it back in. Then, you need to make a mount for the radiator to be held in with.

Both radiators cost about $180 delivered to my door when I compared prices in 2005. I have no clue what they cost today with scrap prices climbing higher than fuel.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The Chevelle one requires that the front mounting flange be ground off, and then it slides right in. It is a 4 core (iirc) and will extend back out of the support about 1", requiring a spacer for the bolts. I used conduit joints for my spacers.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

I have a source for the Chevelle one...Modine #289...for $160...that is new...add shipping from zip code 54449, Marshfield, WI.

That's a good price - I think I paid that with the "Krob discount"
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Yulp, thats the same rad I just put in my truck. Because of the lower placement of the SBC I am going to need a custom fan shroud to make the fan draw correctly. I am using the mechanical fan just because of reliability and so far I've only heard negative things about the electrics, not everyone says their bad but most say thier always having to check on them, respace them and most of the time just "mess" with them in general.

OK, those using the 396 / 289 in the south where it is hot in the summer, how well do they keep the SBC / BBC cool?
    I am running a recored stock and it gets 220-225 in the 100+ temp here but that is not pulling hard. Idel it stays cool 180-190.

I just installed the chevelle radiator and it was a little more dificult than I was expecting. The lower outlet had to be moved over, which added to the cost and mainly, the radiator was almost too wide and had to be forced in which I'm not comfortable with. In addition, it sat a little too high and would hit the hood when closed. I had to remove the two channels from the frame to the front crossmember in order to lower the radiator to a more ideal location. It does work well but I don't like how I had to hack it and the truck to get it in. Total cost 225 for radiator plus 45 to move the outlet. Maybe they sold me a cheap knockoff that the dimensions were a little off, or maybe the truck dimensions vary a little.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    Yulp, thats the same rad I just put in my truck. Because of the lower placement of the SBC I am going to need a custom fan shroud to make the fan draw correctly. I am using the mechanical fan just because of reliability and so far I've only heard negative things about the electrics, not everyone says their bad but most say thier always having to check on them, respace them and most of the time just "mess" with them in general.
    I haven't had any luck with electrics keeping a big block chevy cool. I have owned several in the 67-72 Chevy trucks, and the OE setup with a shroud always did the best even with AC. Electrics seem to be marginal at best, and I believe that they can to some degree block airflow through the radiator.

Temp wise, I used to always run around 220 in traffic too, which I never liked. I always wondered if it was just a BB Chevy thing, or the radiator design? I also wondered about a high-flow water pump to keep that coolant moving. Those things hold about 6 gallons of A/F....

Just curious too, where do you guys run your temp sender? I ran mine in the intake near the t-stat. Originally they were in the cylinder head, so not sure if that makes a difference on the guage??? Mechanical gauge of course.

My Summit radiator with no shroud, mechanical fan with no clutch and the Auto Meter mechanical gauge sender on the intake next to the thermostat housing will stay right at 181-183 with a 180 t-stat installed. I got up to 210-215 after blowing the upper radiator hose on the way to the Texas FE last fall. Sealed back up and full of water, it never really cooled down pulling another M715 on a trailer through the Hill Country with outside temperature in the 90's. Once cooled off, air bled out and topped off, it didn't get over 185 on the way home.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw