Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame colors...your opinions...

Default Frame colors...your opinions...

At this point, I will be getting ready to disassemble some of my truck. It seems that most if not all trucks had their frames painted black. Is the black a flat or semi gloss??

Anyway, what seems to be the preferred color for the frame, regardless of whether it is original or not?

I have no plans of getting trophies at military shows but want it to look really nice.

I'd appreciate anyone's input...however, I need to know if the stock color black was a semi-gloss or a flat. It looks to be semi-gloss on my truck but who knows?

Personally, I used semigloss epoxy enamel. It looks the best and was pretty close to stock color.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Looks like my 10,000 miler has a semi-gloss black as well. Martin Senour makes a nice semi-gloss chassis paint I've used several times that has a nice satin finish. You can get it at a NAPA store.

As I understand it some trucks came from the factory with semi-gloss black and some came OD green. No one knows as to why they just did so either way is correct.
    Zone holster maker

When I got ready to paint mine ,I asked VPW , their response was OD .

these trucks were built on the same line as the civ trucks an im sure shared the frame color treatment which seemed to be a basic satin black i dont think they were even primed just painted right onto the bare metal. i guess the entire rolling chassis engine trans transfer axles etc were black or bare also. it seems that on the civ trucks at least the aluminum parts of the engine, valve cover water pump etc were left bare. the paint randyscycle suggested sounds like a perfect choice

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Whether its correct or not, I like the look of the black frame. Just my opinion, as it gives some delineation from frame to body. I like my black wheels too though they're not correct.

It does look upon closer inspection that there is some OD overspray on my frame in places. Whether this was done later or at the factory I'm not sure.

To andswer your question/statement randy...yes. The overspray could be from the factory and from life after leaving the factory. It is ans was common practice to assemble a military vehilce and then give it a finial coat of paint to touch up any spots plus paint the bolt heads etc.
    Zone holster maker

While I usually don't like rattle can paints, NAPA sells a correct (for older cars anyway) chassis black that is a nice satin finish. It is the toughest rattle can paint I have ever used. It is expensive but it is very durable. Once cured it does not scratch easily at all.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I am painting mine flat black, hides a lot of sins and draws attention of the eyes to the body, not the undercarriage.