Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts Sources

If it doesn't grind at a stand still, the problem is with the operator. No offense.

At a stand still you should feel the teeth bump a bit while they align hence the lack of a synchro. I never shift into first unless I am stopped or it will grind. That applies to my M715 and my CJ T-18. The teeth are very wide and need to be pretty much aligned with the clutch hub assy or it will grind. I'm not convinced you have a problem yet. Even at 3-5 MPH they will grind. Try slowing down to a stop or .5 or 1MPH to keep the gear barely turning. It should go right in that way.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Thanks for the reply! I have decided to replace the entire clutch anyway. This truck has been sitting off and on for most of its life. It only has 8300 miles, but the tires are worn out which tells me there may be other problems as well. My local MV expert tells me that the revets in the clutch are probably worn off. I will put to use your shifting technique when the replacement is done. Thanks again! shortround

No offense taken, but it does grind at a stand still. It grinds in all situations, sitting still- barely moving at 1-3mph-- orin normal driving speeds. Thanks for the reply! shortround

A non syncro gear will grind at all speeds unless you just happen to slam the stick forward and get it in gear at the perfect moment...once you have the gears turning in the trans due to motion of the truck then you can equalize the engine RPMs with the transmission gears RPMs...if you do that perfectly, it wont grind. In other words, you have to act as the syncro...thats what it does is equalize the RPMs between the 2 for you.

Does it grind in any of the syncro'ed gears...2nd, 3rd, or 4th?

Smile Shifting gears

Thanks again for the reply. It does not grind in any of the other gears. I have at last driven it and I find another problem. There is a loud clacking noise somewhere in the tranny or transfer case when the accelerator is appilied. I am still however very glad I found this truck. Even if I have to replace the engine, tranny and transfer case it is still a great truck due to its overall frame and body condition. I'm convinced that if done right it can be a museum quality restoration. I have just finished building a new shop at home and am now in the process of getting it equiped. There are also some young guys in the nieghborhood that have been into working/building 4x4's that are very eager to work with me on these units. All I can see in the future is having a lot of fun doing this!I am going to finish up my MUTT 151A1 and sell it for what I have in it to finance the new equipment, so if you folks know of anyone looking please let me know. Thanks! shortround

Check your u-joints. There are 6 of them and one of them could be your clunking noise. Check the motor mounts, transmission mounts, transmission to engine bolts, t-case mounts and t-case shifter mounts as well. Those are the easy fixes for your clunking noise. After that is an internal problem probably.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

is there any free play in the clutch pedal? it there isnt it possible the clutch isnt completely disengaged which would make it hard to get in 1st (or reverse) an the syncros can overcome a bit of clutch drag. although it doesnt cover the noise prob you described

Thanks for the info! I'll check everything you mentioned. I hope you are right and it isn't an internal thing. Thanks again for the reply! shortround

Thanks George! I have just purchased a new clutch but haven't gotten it installed yet. I'm hoping that will take care of the shifting problem--- then I'll tackle the other clancking problem. Thanks for the reply! shortround