Thread: Painting rims/mounting new tires question

Default Painting rims/mounting new tires question

I just took off my old dry rotted NDT's and had my rims professionally sanblasted the other day. I bought a gallon of Gillespie Red Primer and a gallon of the WWII green paint.

Today, I sprayed the rings and rims with red oxide. Now I am wondering whether I should just spray the rims on Sunday with the green paint or should I just cut in the edges of the rims and complete split rings?

Reason I wonder is I am not sure how easy the mounting of the tires will go. I hate to have the rims all sprayed in green only to have to touch them up because of prybars, hammer marks, greasy hands touching them etc.

Any advice before I spray the green on Sunday?? Also, how long would you let the green paint "cure" before bringing the rims to have the new tires mounted up? I was going to shoot the rims Sunday morning and bring the rims/tires to get mounted the following morning - Monday....is that too soon or?

I did not have split rims , but did wait untill the new tires were mounted . I just ran some masking around the tire on both sides then shot the green on . Did have one flat repaired once , it was a pain to touch up the edges .

What kind of paint? I'm assuming it's not catalyzed and if so, will take some time to get nice and hard.

You're gauaranteed to chip paint at least where the ring slides over the OD of the wheel. You probably won't need a prybar, just a rubber mallet to knock the ring into place but it does slide across the wheel, all around the OD.

Chris
    Last edited by LuckyPabst; July 13th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.

I agree with LuckyPabst. I primed and painted my rims completely prior to putting tires on. All I needed was a big rubber mallet to get the ring all the way on. I painted my wheels black, and after all the tires were on, I couldn't see any visible chips or scratches. It might have scratched the ring while it went over the rim, but you won't see that when its installed anyways.

Now, if you ever had to take apart the split rim, thats another story.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

powdercoat em...
    Go Ahead, Make my day

^ What he said. A good powder coat should take the abuse of the prybars. Take them to Chuck at Bonehead Performance in Morrisville, PA. He can get some OD. He does a really good job.

http://www.boneheadperformance.com/

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One nice trick I use for painting rims after the tires are mounted:

Go to your local hardware store; Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, and pick up a small roll of aluminum flashing. Cut a strip long enough to go around the circumference of the rim and push it down between the tire and rim. It stays put and keeps the paint off the rubber, and is a hell of a lot quicker than masking tape!

Never thought of using flashing , great idea .

I would suggest painting the rim inside and out. Rust prevention is why.

I painted my cans and rings all nice and pretty. Used a rubber mallet with a rag wrapped around it to mount the XZL's the first time. No paint gone or anything.

Then I had a flat on the road. Then another flat 3 weeks later. I now have a few scratches. Unless I wash it really, really good you can't see them though. Actually, trail rash has taken more paint off than tire work, so paint them up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw