Thread: I think I did a stupid thing

Default I think I did a stupid thing

Is it possible that if you only run one fan belt on the farthest back pulley, it will kill the water pump? I think I did just that that.
    Maybe a little too tight on the belt as well. Don't let this happen to you.

As heavy as the water pump pulley is and as far onto the shaft as it is, I doubt the one belt killed it...the weight of the pulley, around 10 lbs., on the shaft of an aluminum pump that weighs less than 1 pound and limited use are the most likely the causes of premature failure...like the rest of ours.
    Last edited by brute4c; July 10th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.

Welcome to the club. A bunch of us have bad water pumps sitting on a shelf. The belts probably didn't do it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

The dual belts were set up as a fail safe. If one belt went the second belt could keep your vehicle running when in combat. The last thing you want when you going to or from the battle is to have the motor quit because a belt broke. You can run the system on one belt just like any civilian car had for years and years even today with the serpant belt.
    Zone holster maker

Wasn't there some talk a year or so ago about to much belt tension? Something about the bearing. I would think with one belt it would be OK. Maybe the bearing just had lived it's useful life.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

The stock 60 amp alternator creates a lot of resistance to the engine. When I installed one on the M35(R) the other week I had the belts just barely tight while I set the voltage. The first few times I tried it, checked voltage and cut it off to undo the belts and adjust some more all in about 1-2 minutes. The pulley was almost too hot to touch each time. If you can, run as many belts as you have grooves for. Otherwise, you could heat the belts causing them to stretch out and need adjustment/replacement sooner.

Now, back to the water pump thing. Sealed bearing water pumps were pretty new back in 1967. All of the military vehicles still in use except for maybe the 151 and M38A1 had water pumps that needed to be greased with a gun. Over on the civilian side, most makes had swapped to sealed bearings. But, they were still in the first phase of learing about them. Kaiser didn't learn fast enough. These aluminum pumps looked good on paper, but didn't turn out that good. Was it design or manufacturing? Doesn't matter. Just know that you should buy just about any pump you see under $75.00 and keep it around because you will need another one of these days. Try to get one with a pulley already on it. That way you won't have to shell out more money for one because you needed it yesterday.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

The water pump issue really opens up a market for rebuilds with improved bearings. Someone had posted that a machine shop was willing to try a few but they were busy. Has anyone attempted to take apart one of these and change bearings?

That was me with the machine shop. One guy took a look at it and said no thanks. Another guy has seen it and is willing to try redoing some. But, his main business is oil field. They are trying to hire people just to keep the regular customers happy. We are kind of low on the priority list. I have a box of old pumps sitting by the door to my shop. I have to walk by it everyday, so I haven't forgotten this issue.