Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horn Ground

Default Horn Ground

The only thing on my truck that doesn't work is the horn. To be honest the horn actually does work, but will not sound when you push the horn button. I've tracked the problem down to the fact that the steering shaft is not grounded to the steering column. I can complete the curcuit by grounding the horn switch to the steering column and the horn sounds. As you know the horn switch grounds to the steering column shaft which in turn should ground to the column and so to the body. I have no continuity between the shaft and the column. Any idea how these two are supposed to be connected?

There should be a wire going from the top of the rag joint to the steering box side of the rag joint. That is how it is supposed to be grounded.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

That makes perfect sense. It didn't even occur to me that it would be grounded through the steering box. There's no wire on mine, so I'm sure that's the problem. Thanks for the info.

Mine didnt have a wire there stock....not that I can see or remember...I thought there was a wire from the shaft to the column, internally, that did this.
    I cant find anything in the manuals on either....anyone have a pic of the factory "arund the rag joint" wire?

I tore a column apart years back...seems there was a wire buried down in there that did the grounding....

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong?

I couldn't find it in the manuals either. I just looked at the stock steering on the truck in my class and couldn't see it. I will look on the truck at my house tonight if I have a chance and if I still can't find it, I will try and find my stock box and hope the wire is still there.

It was an un insulated flat strap type of wire. I was confused by it when I pulled the box off 5 years ago to put in ps.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Hummmm... I've read this post twice and followed the steering column from the steering wheel to the end of the gear box twice. Ummm... I don't have that little wire of concern and the horn works...

Dang it, something else to fix: When I get her all purdy and painted - that's when it'll crap out.

I have Pistolnut's truck here in my class, and I can't see the wire that was on my rag joint. I am not goin to take his apart to look either. Agengr's truck is at my house and I keep forgetting to look. I also have my old box with part of the rag joint still on it somewhere.

If your horn works John, leave it be.

I know that's how the newer J-trucks do it - ground wire skips across the rag joint, but I don't recall one on my working horn 715 either.

It has to ground somewhere, at least on newer trucks, to trip the relay.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Should ground through the lower steering shaft bearing to the column mast . Had this problem before due to rust in that area .

Blog Entries

Yeah on 715 there is no wire near the rag joint. I rebuilt my truck and can confirm that. The ONLY wire that leaves the entire steering column is the one wire for power. Ground has to be as fasteddie said. In fact I seem to remember that it was to the exterior steering tube that the steering shaft runs inside of. Maybe not ... but its either the tube or the shaft thats for sure.