Thread: Play in the gas tank?

Default Play in the gas tank?

Installed my gas tank in the -725, but after tightening down the 2-1/4 inch bolts that hold the gas tank up, the tank is still a little loose. Is there supposed to be play in the whole setup, or do I have to get bolts with the full 2-1/4" of threading on them? The ones I have on there only have the end 1" threaded...

HELP!

There should be NO play! If there is enough play tat metal on metal could produce a spark, this would be about the last place you would ever want one...

Loose will wear the bolts, chafe paint and tank, wear the wires and hoses and more...tight is right.

I had the same issue on my 715 with all original mounting hardware. I think I shimmed it up with some thin strips of wood at one time, which are no longer there for one reason or another so I don't worry too much about it any more and that's how it is.

Best to err on the side of safety, maybe shim it or find shorter bolts and even add some foam at the contact points or something.

Chris

Get full thread bolts and snug her up real good!
    Zone holster maker

Mine had nice rubbery/saturated cardboardy strips between straps and tank. Might be the issue????

Need some front doors?
    **I heart Bump_r **

i had the same problem with my tank... i used shorter bolts with full threads problem solved...

i also used two bicycle inner tubes and put them between the strap and tank...

holding that thing up while putting the straps on and starting the bolts was a PITA...

i think i had to redo it 3-4 times by myself for various reasons.... find a helper

Is it that critical that I put some insulation such as wood blocks, rubber inner tube, etc. between the tank and the straps, or the tank and the underside of the bed? I just dont wanna drop the whole thing again. You're right, warwick, it was a PITA doing it myself....

Get a floor jack under it if you have access to one. Make sure you get the grounding wire secured too. The straps don't always make a good contant.