Thread: More NP205 "Making it fit" work

Default More NP205 "Making it fit" work

I have been messing with the NP205 for about a year and a half now. The last parts I got for it was a year ago today at Gunny's, so I am not really in a hurry here.

I have taken lots of pictures along the way and when I am done will do a comprehensive tech posting about the entire thing. But, here is the lastest parts for now.

One of the guys from the local VFW that wanted to use my truck in parades this summer has a small machine shop at his house. He asked me if he could do some work for me as payment. I told him about the need for a 31 spline yoke/flange for the 205. He told me to bring him some parts and we would make something up.

I took him a stock parking brake drum and stock parking brake 12 spline flange. Along with a normal u-joint flange off a baby Jeep and one of the 31 spline 205 output yokes. He said he had some 1310 flanges and would make the finished parts out of it and just use my stuff as a pattern except for cutting up the 205 yoke that is.

Here is the stock 200 flange next to the parking brake. Notice that it has a positioning ring up next to the flange to center it on the brake drum.

Here is what I got back. This is the seal surface of the 205 yoke with a metal plate welded on to match the brake drum holes. Notice it has the same centering ring.

Here is the back side of the u-joint flange he built me. He didn't have any 1310 stuff at all and used whatever size u-joint this part is instead. I got the glare just right so you can see the outline where he welded it up and turned it smooth again.

Here are all three parts as I got them back from him. He powder coated them these colors. I already painted the bottom side last night and just finished painting the shown sides an hour or so ago.

Here are the 3 parts sitting the way they will be bolted together but staggered so you can see how they fit.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

SwEEEEEET stuff there.... but he shoulda borrowed my OD powder.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

Very nice Barrman!!

Yes, very nice indeed! Now stop painting everything green and get to work on mounting the t-case! Thats if you can stop working on the M-35. (jk) I hope your being careful not to get too many projects going, it will cause burnout. LOL. I get it now and then, I had to sell off certain things so I could concentrate on just the one truck. Not only that, I need more of your motivating pics.

Very nice indeed. Question for you though, how was the u-joint yoke that he welded on centered and/or balanced? Its not much rotating mass, but I would think that if it was off center in the slightest it would really be bad.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I am working on the mount as I type. Actually, a student is working on it as I type. He is still cleaning the stock crossmember up so we can get everything lined up and start measuring.

Are you asking about the balance of the brake mount flange or the u-joint flange?

The brake mount piece is just a stock NP205 yoke with the u-joint part turned off and a metal plate added. The welds are even all around and then a lathe was used to flatten them out and make the round disc round. I can put it on my tire balancer and see what the dynamic balance is. I will try that.

The u-joint flange was done the same basic way. I will try to test it as well.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

I HOPE THE WELD HOLDS, ITS THE QUESTIONABLE AREA, IT holds alot of torque and it might pay you to run a hoop or chain under the front of the drive shaft for a just in case it breaks safety.....
    jmo
    bob

It can't be any more critical than a welded chain link on a winch tailchain.

Soooooo... what were the test results?
    Go Ahead, Make my day

I didn't get to it yet. We have teacher training all this week, so it won't get done at least for another week either.