Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What winch??

Default What winch??

Anybody know offhand the model of the winch thats supposed to reside on the front of the 715? Mine is long gone but I might have a lead...sucker looks afwul big however-course with the weight I guess it would have to be.

Braden LU-4, rated 8,000 lbs. To help you identify it, and to show you that the Braden is tiny compared to something like the 10K Garwood that came on the 2 1/2 tons, check out this thread:

Braden LU-4 vs. Garwood 10K
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Ok well now my interest is really peaked because it certainly isnt the Braden-its bigger-most certainly military and I thought said 12k on it.

Shot at 2007-07-06

Actually its in this pic---course it couldnt have been two inches lower

Well, from that pic, it looks like a gamma goat winch, but I know those are rated @8K-lbs too. Maybe a Ramsey that was painted green? I've seen them rated that high.

Now that you said that and I've gone an looked at pics it does look just like the one on the Goat--I could be wrong on the 12k. Of course I wont be downstate for another week to confirm.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Is 8000lbs enough winch? I was always told weight of truck+gear doubled was a good theory. Is 8000lbs in a PTO winch different than a electric?

Winches are rated by what they can pull on the 4th wrap I believe. Meaning that on the 8th wrap, they are much weaker. Especially electric winches. Most electric winches today are rated by the maker. They of course want to sell a product.
    The PTO military winches were rated by the miltary. Totally different meaning to the numbers.

I have seen the LU-4 twice try to pull stuck vehicle out and not be able to because the winch truck kept dragging across the ground.

At the FE a year ago, Doug was stuck on the side of a hill. Jeff had his winch truck at the bottom of the hill. We ran the cable up the hill, used a snatch block off a tree to go back down the hill to Doug. Jeff started winching and his truck started sliding. We chained his truck to another M715. Both started sliding. We tried it again with the anchor one chained to a tree. This try the entire front of his truck started going up in the air. The shear pin snapped and the truck whammed back to earth. I think a lot more than 8K was being put on that cable.

The other time was when a F-250 was stuck axle deep in some mud. A winch was attached and the winching truck just slid toward the Ford with all 4 tires locked up. Another M715 was chained to the back of the first and this time all 8 tires just slid across the grass.

I think a Military PTO winch rated at 8K will make you very happy. Unless you are putting 44's on it and planning to stick it to the tire tops. Then a 10K Garwood might be needed from a M35. By the way, the M35's weigh in at 13K plus. Yet, the military only put 10K winches on them. That should tell you something about the rating system.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I see......That makes more sense now. The military system seems to have been a different rating indeed if a 10K winch shows up on a 13K truck.

I was planning on a 12K lb winch for my project. Possibly hydraulic, but not sure yet, as I will have a TH400 behind a 396 Chevy and no place for a PTO. (my winch was already gone when I purchased the M anyway)

Swap in an np205 while your at it and you'll be good to go.