Thread: 4 speed swap

Default 4 speed swap

Anyone else running a Muncie SM420 in their truck?? My cousin and I transplanted a SBC mated to a SM420 this weekend. After we built a back bracket for the trans we actually were able to modify the Kaiser 6 motor mounts to attach to the SBC. Turned on an angle one of the holes in the Kaiser motor mount actually lined up with the holes in the SBC block. I ask because I'd like to see what kind of bracket anyone fabricated for the clutch. This thing should really crawl with the 420 and the stock axle gears----might not be able to reach 45mph now however

Some people remount the clutch Z bar by using the stock frame end and making a plate that bolts to the engine hold the engine side. Others have use the Chevy ball stud for one end and moved the frame mount along with lengthening the arms.

It is kind of like the shifter mount on the other side of the transmission. Hard to describe, but one you have the parts there in front of you, you will figure something out by holding them up and saying to yourself "Hmm, this isn't that hard to figure out."

I was real worried about this when I did my swap. I think I spent about 30 minutes on it once I saw how all the different parts related to each other on the truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Yeah I was leaning toward using the z bar and fab up a mount on the motor or bellhousing side. Just wondered if anyone ran into any issues that I'm not thinking of. The mounting of the whole thing followed your-hmm that aint that hard approach. Couldnt believe that the motor actually fell the way it did right on the Chevy bolt holes-crazy. I'm real interested in where the trans and axle ratio's are going to put me. First gear on the muncie is like 7 to 1.

I have a SM420 in a '66K20 with 4.56 gears and 35" tires. I had reason to move both trucks the other day at the same time. Colton my 8 year old drove the Chevy in 1st LO while I drove the 715 in 1st LO. I told him to leave it at idle and keep both feet on the floor. I did the same with the 715. Driving around the field, through some trees. I had the 715 parked, seats covered and had walked back to make sure he was still moving before he got near me. There is that much difference between the 420 1st and the 1st in a NV4500.

It will make a great parade gear.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Oh, on the clutch. Some people have run into trouble with extreme frame twist and fabbed up Z-bar mounts. The Z-bar has fallen off. Several members have made a plate the mirror image of the t-case shift lever mount plate that they put the entire clutch linkage on so frame twist is not part of the linkage. I think most of their problem was with the way the Z-bar was fabbed up to fit the V8 more than anything else, but just something else to keep in mind.

Yeah frame twist will be a consideration as this wont see pavement as much as possible. Should be able to get out and walk next to it in first.