Thread: Oil filter

Default Oil filter

What oil filter do I need, that I can buy at any auto parts store? Best possible.

Wix is the best in my opinion. It is the same filter the small block Fords used for the last 30 years. Fram PH8A.
    The engine in my class has a 21515 made by Wix. The same number will be good for CarQuest filtes and NAPA filters.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Paint the filter OD and everyone will think it's NOS...
    Zone holster maker

Don't ever use fram filters. Unless you want problems of course.. They are not put together well, smallest sq inches filter area, glues that dissolve inside, poor filter media, cardboard inside filter construction, no check valves in most, absolute junk compared to the others. Wix, Napa, Purolater rate very well.

I cleaned my shop and threw away a brand new fram in the box I discovered.
    I wouldn't even give it to someone I didn't like.

I should have used it for target practice.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

I have heard the same about Fram filters - its probably been the last decade or so they went downhill. I never use them anymore...and a good friend of mine put one on his chevy 350 at an oil change and his oil pressure dropped considerably - I suspected it was a bad filter...he changed it out the same day and the oil pressure went back to normal. I've read alot about failures and experienced it first hand as well.
    I like Purolator and to be honest, I use Walmart filters (Supertechs) with no problems at all on my drivers.

I use purolater also. Wix if I buy at NAPA. I wonder if Supertechs is a rename from another brand for wally world or a design by itself.

This reminds me of a good laugh yesterday. I went over to a friends house to troubleshoot a fuel gauge that was not working and the same with the brakes on his newly assembled 73 CJ. In the next bay there was a 65 nova that was getting built into a race car. They were using a 350 that used to be in a van I borrowed two years ago to go pick up the 79 CJ from Montana. Before I took the van I changed the oil to Mobil 1 and I always write on the filter with a permanent marker the install date, type of oil, and odometer reading. On the end of the filter I wrote a huge thank you to my friend that loaned me the van to retrieve the CJ. I forgot I did that. So yesterday while on the cherry picker Dan says look at the bottom of the filter. I did and laughed. Everybody thought it was pretty funny. I knew he would see it someday. I forgot I wrote it. I guess it went as planned...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

NAPA Gold is Wix. Good filter. It's what I use on everything.

Resurrecting this thread from the dead.

I've finally gotten off my lazy butt and started doing my own oil changes in my Silverado. Found the place I had been using for years has been using "Mighty" brand "Engine Guard II" oil filters. Anyone know what their quality is like?

http://www.mightyautoparts.com/produ...underhood.html
    -- Tim Taylor

Supposedly, there's only two or three actual manufactures out there anymore...I' guess it's every bit as good as one of their flagship names...LOL

Doesn't fram (don't flip out Al!) have an "Extra Gaurd"???
    Possibly a generic labeled twin? Not recommending them, just speculating on what it is.

Last edited by Doug; August 24th, 2007 at 05:45 PM.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I'm putting NAPA Gold filters (Wix, apparently) in the Silverado, the Suburban, the CJ and the M715 now. Just wondered about the "Mighty" filter since that's the brand that's purportedly been keeping the oil in my $pendy Duramax clean for the past 4 years.
    -- Tim Taylor