Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shovel length?

Default Shovel length?

If I measure the truck looks like 30" is correct. Can someone measure theirs and maybe post a nice picture of their tools mounted. I can't find a shovel so I am making my own. An old broken wood handle, then welding on a steel handle that should never break. I just want to get the length correct, and I would like to see how the straps go. I will be building a high lift jack mount just above the shovel so I need to finish that first. Thanks everyone

I have my Hi-Lift mounted above my shovel too. I just used a shovel I got at the hardware store. I haven't measured it, I just bought one and put it on, never thought about it not fitting. I guess I just got lucky.

Yes, any D-handled hardware store shovel should work. My strap appears to be welded to the side of the bed (by the factory) about 1 inch too far forward compared to others I've measured, so I'm having a heck of a time finding a shovel that will fit.

Here's a picture of Al's which he just picked up at his local hardware store. It shows how the straps go on:

-- Tim Taylor

This shovel barely fits at 37 inches long from tip to top of handle. Some shovels are "flatter" than others. This one has quite a bit of arch.
    Robert-CA

That's about the size I'm looking for. Most I can find are 40"+ though. But I think 37" would fit mine, iirc.

Thanks for posting the pics, Hiker!
    -- Tim Taylor

Here's why Al's shovel won't fit on my truck:

If a few of you could put a tape to yours and tell me what you come up with (where that point that measures to 3 inches on mine is on yours), I'd sure appreciate it.

Bonus if you also tell me how long your shovel is, if you have one, and how much room you have when you tuck the handle up under the top rail. That would be most helpful in letting me know how long a shovel to look for, as I don't always have my truck with me when I come across a shovel!

Thanks....
    -- Tim Taylor

Great pictures thanks. I will make my shovel handle around 36" or so. I'll get you that measurement Tim, now off to the shop.

here you go binford.. ya i know the glare ... 2 3/8"

fisherman here are some pics

i had to cut the handle down to fit... don't know what make or where it came from...

it has the same arch as hiker's ... and its a shade over 38"

Last edited by Binford; June 8th, 2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Put pics in post

Thanks, Warwick! With a picture even!

So a 37" shovel should fit for me. Or do you have enough room you could fit a shovel that was 3/4" longer you think?
    -- Tim Taylor

i can't fit a longer shovel... take a look at the first pic for fisherman... i have to convince the shovel to go under the bed rail